Registration/License/Install details?

Everything related to MakeMKV
MilesAhead

Registration/License/Install details?

Post by MilesAhead »

I like MakeMKV. For this type of app I think the one-time registration scheme is a good deal.

I don't expect you to give away any copy protection secrets but I'm wondering if you can give some details about installs etc..

As an example I purchased DVD Rebuilder which contacts its online database when you install and enter the registration for full functionality. In that scheme you are only flagged if you have more than 5 concurrent installs registered and after a period of time the oldest is discarded. IOW, you don't have to worry if you play around with lots of software and back-up and restore system images that your registration is going to be hosed since you can just reinstall should the need arise.

I'm just a bit cautious with some of these registration schemes because some are really intrusive. I won't buy a product that won't launch if your internet access is on the blink(as example some authoring programs decide at random when they are going online to check your registration. If your ISP is down, then you can't use the software that has nothing to do with being online per se as a newsreader would have.)

I just want to get an idea how much hindrance I'll have to endure if I purchase(all copy protection is a hindrance so it's a matter of degree. I looked into it a bit when I created my online site before I finally gave up and went the donationware route. My utilities are small convenience apps so the registration model didn't work for me. More hassle than it was worth.)

mike admin

Re: Registration/License/Install details?

Post by mike admin »

MilesAhead wrote:I like MakeMKV. For this type of app I think the one-time registration scheme is a good deal.

I don't expect you to give away any copy protection secrets but I'm wondering if you can give some details about installs etc..

As an example I purchased DVD Rebuilder which contacts its online database when you install and enter the registration for full functionality. In that scheme you are only flagged if you have more than 5 concurrent installs registered and after a period of time the oldest is discarded. IOW, you don't have to worry if you play around with lots of software and back-up and restore system images that your registration is going to be hosed since you can just reinstall should the need arise.

I'm just a bit cautious with some of these registration schemes because some are really intrusive. I won't buy a product that won't launch if your internet access is on the blink(as example some authoring programs decide at random when they are going online to check your registration. If your ISP is down, then you can't use the software that has nothing to do with being online per se as a newsreader would have.)

I just want to get an idea how much hindrance I'll have to endure if I purchase(all copy protection is a hindrance so it's a matter of degree. I looked into it a bit when I created my online site before I finally gave up and went the donationware route. My utilities are small convenience apps so the registration model didn't work for me. More hassle than it was worth.)

The formal announcement is coming soon.
Only blu-ray would require activation, DVD and AVC-HD are free forever.
There will be NO online activation or any need to have internet connection. In fact MakeMKV never makes an internet connection and we intend to keep it this way.
geeky

Post by geeky »

mike admin wrote:In fact MakeMKV never makes an internet connection and we intend to keep it this way.
I beleive the cliche goes something like "Never say never..." ?

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.6.0 win(x64-release) started
Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@geeky

Hi!

Of course, the operative thing regarding your quoting of "mike admin" is that the Internet checking for updates is optional and can be turned on or off at will (by the user) ;>}

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

geeky wrote:
mike admin wrote:In fact MakeMKV never makes an internet connection and we intend to keep it this way.
I beleive the cliche goes something like "Never say never..." ?

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.6.0 win(x64-release) started
Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
By the way, when you saw this message MakeMKV didn't contacted the web server giving you an option to change preferences. This feature was requested many times by users. Still, internet connection is not required for MakeMKV to work, provided you download SVQ files that are needed for very few discs by hand. Not to mention that all internet-related code in MakeMKV is open-source.