SOLVED BD+ discs 'requiring' internet connection not opening

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
bongle

SOLVED BD+ discs 'requiring' internet connection not opening

Post by bongle »

Hi.

I've got some discs that won't open. I think it's because they're BD+ and 'require' an internet connection.

Running MakeMKV 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 (3.2.0 kernel) using an internal LG drive...

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Firmware date: 2112-05-02 13:46: [No type, it actually says that date.]
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 34

Generally copying my blurays has been fine, except a couple of times when an AACS update has required a new version of MakeMKV and, it seems to me, a complete power-down and restart of my drive.

Recently I've tried a few discs that just won't open, ie the icon spins in makemkv and then it shows 'no disc'. As far as I can see there is nothing in the system logs and makemkv doesn't log anything interesting. One of the discs (Aliens) will spin the icon for 30 minutes or so before showing 'no disc'. Another (LOTR) only spins about 3 or 4 minutes. I've returned the Aliens disc to the store and got a replacement, the replacement is exactly the same. Haven't bothered with the others yet.

I can't mount the disc in ubuntu, not that I've ever tried with any bluray.

I've tried the discs in my PS3. The Aliens disc spins for ages then a message comes up asking if I want to allow blu-ray discs to access the internet. After saying 'no' it all works fine in a reasonably short time. The other discs ask the same 'access to internet' question but with less spinning up before hand. Again a 'no' answer seems to let the disc play ok.

I'd never seen the access to the internet question before hence my suspicion that it's that BD+ feature that prevents me using makemkv (either because of makemkv or the OS in general).

Anybody seen this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.
Last edited by bongle on Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongle

Re: BD+ discs 'requiring' internet connection not opening

Post by bongle »

bongle wrote: Running MakeMKV 1.8.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 (3.2.0 kernel) using an internal LG drive...
Make that 1.8.2, just saw the new release. Tried it and (unsurprisingly) I still have the same problem.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It seems that MakeMKV can't read the disc. If you can't mount the disc in ubuntu, then it's drive issue.
bongle

Post by bongle »

mike admin wrote:It seems that MakeMKV can't read the disc. If you can't mount the disc in ubuntu, then it's drive issue.
Is this sort of problem typically resolvable with firmware updates or are some drives just incapable of opening some BD+ discs?
Assuming the problem is actually due to some sort of BD+ feature that is.

The drive is pretty much brand new so it'd be a shame if it has to go on the scrap heap already.
bongle

Post by bongle »

I've now managed to get both these discs open and copied with MakeMKV.

I exchanged Aliens yet again and exchanged the LOTR discs. I left the whole machine unplugged for a while as previously the drive has got confused after a disc caused an AACS update.

The new Aliens failed in exactly the same way. Then I tried the LOTR discs. They worked.
On a whim I tried Aliens again, this time it worked. It again took a long time before the disc was recognised and when opening the disc MakeMKV took a long time... most of it showing messages about the BD+ VM and FUTs.
When actually copying the titles the drive read at about one quarter it's typical speed.

So, perhaps the original LOTR discs were just bad. And maybe the Aliens discs were much more susceptible to imperfections as the FUT caused the drive to read more of the disc. Or maybe my drive gets confused somehow and the powering-off and the order of discs helped. Pure guesswork.

Either way problem solved.
lnxusr

Re: SOLVED BD+ discs 'requiring' internet connection not ope

Post by lnxusr »

There's a bug in the Ubuntu line where if you eject the disk by pressing the button on the drive, sometimes the system thinks the disk is still mounted. To get around this, eject the disk via the icon on the toolbar.