MakeMKV v1.8x and a problem with Skype on Windows

Everything related to MakeMKV
Vidmo

MakeMKV v1.8x and a problem with Skype on Windows

Post by Vidmo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I've been using a registered version of MakeMKV for quite a while (over 2 years). I also pride myself on building computers with the utmost reliability and I'm very meticulous about how I make changes to my systems so that I can identify issues when they arise.

Ever since installing MakeMKV 1.8x (starting with 1.80 and now with 1.81) Skype will lockup after some period of time causing the machine to slow to a craw and sometimes even prevent the entire machine for coming out of sleep.

If I revert to MakeMKV 1.7.9 these problems go away. Skype no longer has these issues and the machine is 100% stable for the entire month.

So, what could MakeMKV 1.8.x be doing with its new libraries (Visual enhancements) that could be causing these issues?

Windows 7 x64 wSP1
MakeMKV 1.8x
Skype 6.3.105

Mike?

twa000

Re: MakeMKV v1.8x and a problem with Skype on Windows

Post by twa000 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Vidmo wrote: So, what could MakeMKV 1.8.x be doing with its new libraries (Visual enhancements) that could be causing these issues?

Windows 7 x64 wSP1
MakeMKV 1.8x
Skype 6.3.105

Mike?
I have the same levels of win7 x64 (with changes up to last Wednesday's updates), Makemkv and Skype ... I experience no issues at all. :)

So if it is a conflict, it's something to do with your hardware setup or a different package conflict altogether....I can believe you may have a Skype conflict as I have been a user of Skype almost since the beginning and even now it is not the best written or stable piece of software and support is ########, I use it because it provides facilities that I cannot get elsewhere, not because I love it :) , talking to their support over issues is liking talking to a recording machine :cry:

Vidmo

Post by Vidmo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply twa,

How do you explain this then; the issue goes away when I revert back to MakeMKV 1.79? Coincidence? I think not.

twa000

Post by twa000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am

Vidmo wrote:Thanks for the reply twa,

How do you explain this then; the issue goes away when I revert back to MakeMKV 1.79? Coincidence? I think not.
.... and if I was in your shoes, I would probably think the same which is why I posted.
Unfortunately, I have seen too many strange issues over the issues and often it may not be as straight forward as it looks.

Are you actually using Skype when it locks up?
What other programs are allowed access to Skype (Skype Tools/Options/Advanced options -> bottom link)?

Vidmo

Post by Vidmo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

twa000 wrote:Are you actually using Skype when it locks up?
What other programs are allowed access to Skype (Skype Tools/Options/Advanced options -> bottom link)?
The issue presents itself normally after some period of time of non use of the computer. Skype is set to not allow any applications to have access.

FYI: I run all of my systems with non-administrative accounts. I don't trust the visiting teens using the HTPCs I have setup in the house. MakeMKV is only running on the main PC. All machines are connected to my own local AD and are managed by the AD.

Vidmo

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:08 am

Vidmo wrote:Ever since installing MakeMKV 1.8x (starting with 1.80 and now with 1.81) Skype will lockup after some period of time causing the machine to slow to a craw and sometimes even prevent the entire machine for coming out of sleep.

If I revert to MakeMKV 1.7.9 these problems go away. Skype no longer has these issues and the machine is 100% stable for the entire month.

So, what could MakeMKV 1.8.x be doing with its new libraries (Visual enhancements) that could be causing these issues?
You mean that the issue arises when MakeMKV is not running? Please check with task that you don't have makemkvcon64.exe running in the background. Versions 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 have a bug forcing makemkvcon.exe to stay running in backgound.