Subtitles and MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
xreyuk

Subtitles and MakeMKV

Post by xreyuk »

Hey guys.

I know MakeMKV has issues with subtitles when ripping some Blu-Rays.

My question is what can I do about it? I will only be ripping movies that are English, with short bits of subtitles needed (Lord of the Rings or Avatar for example).

Also, is there anyway when ripping with MakeMKV that I can save some space? For instance, I don't need to rip lossless audio.

Thanks.
setarip_old

Re: Subtitles and MakeMKV

Post by setarip_old »

I will only be ripping movies that are English, with short bits of subtitles needed (Lord of the Rings or Avatar for example).
Select ONLY the "Forced" subtitles (Put a check mark next to). DEselect all other subtitles
For instance, I don't need to rip lossless audio.
Select (Put a check mark next to) the core audio portion only (Uncheck the HD version)...

Last edited by setarip_old on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Could you please expand on what problems you are having with subtitles?

SC
PeacePipe

Post by PeacePipe »

My question is somewhat different but it still relates to selecting subtitles. There are movies where 4-5 English subtitles are offered (possibly together with a number of other languages). Since no previewing of the subtitles is possible to my knowledge, it would be a great help if some kind of indication (flag) would be available to select the "core" one. Core for me means English without any kind of embellishments. Not for hard of hearing, closed captioned, etc. etc. There may be times when the only (English) subtitle is one of these embellished types, and in those cases no "core" subtitles is available,and one have to accept the lesser of evils. (This is the fault of the DVD mastering companies. I am copying all my DVDs to mkv because of the intrusive, aggressive methods the movies are packaged with.)

On a different topic. There are some movies that are mastered with dozens of different options, trailers, ads, etc. etc. Some of the Disney movies have a revolting amount of them! It would be very helpful to have a Deselect ALL option. This would prevent the current chore having to disable the dozens of unwanted options and leaving only the ones desired. If a Deselect All option would be available only the few (2-4 audio language, subtitle) desired feature would have to be enabled.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

PeacePipe wrote:This would prevent the current chore having to disable the dozens of unwanted options and leaving only the ones desired.
Which can be done just now by selecting a minimum title length.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

PeacePipe wrote:On a different topic. There are some movies that are mastered with dozens of different options, trailers, ads, etc. etc. Some of the Disney movies have a revolting amount of them! It would be very helpful to have a Deselect ALL option. This would prevent the current chore having to disable the dozens of unwanted options and leaving only the ones desired. If a Deselect All option would be available only the few (2-4 audio language, subtitle) desired feature would have to be enabled.
I believe what you want is already there, it's just a right click away.

SC
xreyuk

Post by xreyuk »

Thanks for the help, I'll test it out.

Secondly, is it possible to queue jobs with MakeMKV?
PeacePipe

Post by PeacePipe »

Chetwood wrote: Which can be done just now by selecting a minimum title length.
Selecting the minimum title length, (currently I'm using 6000), will enable the exclusion of many titles, but will not permit batch deselection of the many options such as: audio, languages, subtitles, etc left in the remaining titles. I also find it a double edged sword. The user is excluding a lot of information, but doesn't KNOW what is being suppressed! On some children cartoons disk there are short flicks that may be of interest, while at other times one wants to select only the main feature alone.
Smithcraft wrote:I believe what you want is already there, it's just a right click away.
Thank you SC! I didn't know about the options enabled by right click! At first glance I didn't like that each section in the titles tree (main Title, Audio) must be individually handled, but upon some thinking I find this behavior more flexible and less (user)-error prone.

Regards, PP
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You can right click there too. When there are a gajillion streams(bunch of foreign audio and subtitles), I just deselect all, and then make sure I'm turning the good stuff back on.

SC
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

PeacePipe wrote:but will not permit batch deselection of the many options such as: audio, languages, subtitles, etc left in the remaining titles.
No, that's done with conversion profiles as explained in the advanced usage section of this forum.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
xreyuk

Post by xreyuk »

setarip_old wrote:
I will only be ripping movies that are English, with short bits of subtitles needed (Lord of the Rings or Avatar for example).
Select ONLY the "Forced" subtitles (Put a check mark next to). DEselect all other subtitles
For instance, I don't need to rip lossless audio.
Select (Put a check mark next to) the core audio portion only (Uncheck the HD version)...

Hi,

So I have tried doing this, however MakeMKV is not ripping forced subtitles correctly. They are included in the .mkv, but they are not playing unless you tell the media player (VLC or WMP) to play the subtitles, they aren't played by default.

If I open the mkv file in mkvtoolnix, the subtitles are there but the 'forced' flag is not set, and neither is the 'default' flag (I'm not sure if default needs to be set or not)

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
paulster

Post by paulster »

MakeMKV doesn't set the forced subtitle flag; you have to do it yourself.

A lot of players don't handle forced subs very well (some will switch on all forced subs or the highest numbered stream when there is more than one track flagged as forced, for instance) so it extracts them but doesn't flag them.