What you're seeing is very common on american DVD's, it's called interlacing. It's a quick and dirty way for DVD makers to turn video shot at 23fps to 29fps.
In your playback software, turn on deinterlacing. Your DVD player does it by default, your playback software does not.
In your playback software, turn on deinterlacing. Your DVD player does it by default, your playback software does not.
How do you account for the fact that the OP states that when he/she plays the ORIGINAL DVD with the same software players, they DON'T exhibit interlacing or "ghosting"?
In your playback software, turn on deinterlacing. Your DVD player does it by default, your playback software does not.
How do you account for the fact that the OP states that when he/she plays the ORIGINAL DVD with the same software players, they DON'T exhibit interlacing or "ghosting"?
My question to.
I use the same PC and same software to play the files, before and after ripping.
As said over, DVD`s is just fine. The MKV isn`t.
The source material (the DVD) is interlaced. I don't have answers as to why your software is deinterlacing by default from the DVD and not when playing a file. Use SMplayer or VLC, turn on deinterlacing and the issue will be gone.
If either of you need more information then you can read about it here: http://www.100fps.com/.
I have nothing else to say on the issue. You don't have to take my advice, you can open up VLC and turn on deinterlacing and see that I'm right, or you can keep asking why this is happening on a forum and make no progress.
crowfax:
It seems like your right. I haven`t tested much yet, but I will. And come back to this.
If it helps, I hope XBMC have the same options to put this on/off.
Material originally shot on video rather than film, so mostly for TV, will often be interlaced because it was intended to be broadcast, which would have required it to be interlaced at that point. DVDs have always been able to store interlaced or progressive content, so they put it on there as it was.