I am trying to rip the four discs for season one and two for the BBC series Being Human. The problem is that the discs are encoded as 1080i VC-1.
This means that although Make MKV rips them fine, Handbrake can then not deal with the encodes as apparently they are not in it's libraries or something. You can tell I'm not very technical
So is there a way of getting MakeMKV to generate an HD file that Handbrake can read? Or failing that another way of getting the ouptut files into a format that I can put in iTunes to play through my AppleTV?
Have you got any other suggestions for under windows? Ripbot only seems to download as some obscure zip type file and even after downloading the 7zip program it says it needs I can't open it.
+1 on RipBot264. Doctor Who Series 5 (and the Christmas Special for Series 6) had the same problem as they were both 1080i VC-1 sources. The settings were not easy to come up with when trying to match my typical Handbrake settings. Going by memory, it took more than one attempt to get de-interlacing settings correct for a "decent" progressive showing. Because of the 25fps source, a good 3:2 pulldown (or 24p result) was difficult to achieve as the cadence was often "off". I also elected to re-merge the audio and subtitles via MKVMerge "after-the-fact" to simplify the encoding process.
Thankfully, Series 6 changed to AVC, which Handbrake was able to handle in a more comfortable setting.
@HTMLSpinnr in Avisynth I have to use cycle=6 with Tdecimate. I notice there is a custom detelcine box and in ffmpeg CLI via decimate you can specifity this. Is there a proper(ish) way to do so in handbrake?
Thanks, I have a fully working AVISynth solution, but would like to do the same in handbrake as editing AVS then remuxing ,etc in megui can become a chore is all.
dannyboy48888 wrote:you reffering to mcdeint being dropped?
No, I'm referring to the updated libav version with support for interlaced B-frames.
dannyboy48888 wrote:I'll pull the svn latest and test....between that and B-frames working I may be able to nuke my virtualbox. Will post more in a bit
As I said in my previous post, you'll have to wait for it to land in SVN and then grab a nightly (or you can apply the patch and build HandBrake from source).