Blu Ray disc says "loading" then ejects...

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jascha311

Blu Ray disc says "loading" then ejects...

#1 Post by jascha311 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:25 am

I put the BD in like normal, it spins up and displays this in the GUI - "Type: Loading..." "Label: Please wait"
The the BD ejects and that's it...

I have 2 Blu Rays it does this with, Rio and Limitless. I know I need a specific SVQ for RIO, but it doesn't even get to that part. Both BD's are brand new, never even played them in my Blu-Ray player. I've backed up countless DVD's and Blu-Rays (all legally purchased) and never had an issue I couldn't resolve, but this one is killing me... Any clue why this would happen? Thanks!

Here's my set-up
MacBook Pro (Mid-2010)
OSX 7.1 Lion
MKV 1.6.14 (paid version)
Opitarc BD-ROM (USB)

Romansh

Re: Blu Ray disc says "loading" then ejects...

#2 Post by Romansh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm

What happens if you don't launch MakeMKV and just insert the disc in the drive? Does it also eject?

jascha311

#3 Post by jascha311 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:43 pm

To be honest, I never even looked to see if the disc was mounting....well, it does not mount and the disc still ejects. Via Bootcamp, restarted in windows 7 and it did the same thing. Tried the same process with a Bluray that I have successfully backed up and both in OSX and Win 7 the disc mounted and I was able to Navigate the folders. So, since Rio and Limitless will not mount and that seems to be my problem, are there any suggestions? Is it a limititation of my BD drive? Is there a workaround for this, or am i just SOL in regards to these 2 BD's? Thanks!

Jascha

setarip_old

#4 Post by setarip_old » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:24 am

@jascha311

Hi!

Have you tried playing these two original, commercial Blu-ray discs on a standalone player?

If they won't play properly on your/a standalone player return them to the place of purchase either in exchange for new replacements or, if new replacements don't play properly at the place of purchase, insist on a refund.

I have both of those titles and no problems with them - Nor has anyone posted anything similar at this forum or any other forums that I frequent. Additionally, a Google search yielded no postings regarding such a problem...

BTW, a common thread for these two is that they are both 20th Century Fox releases.

jascha311

#5 Post by jascha311 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 am

Well I was hoping is was something as simple as a bad disc, but I just played both of them in my PS3...no problems...wonder what it could be...

setarip_old

#6 Post by setarip_old » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Try running a cleaning disc on your computer's BD player. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10US...

jascha311

#7 Post by jascha311 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 am

Well that didn't work...ran a lens cleaner on the BD ROM and also cleaned the discs...oh well, I have the DVD back-ups, that will just have to do.

kirby

#8 Post by kirby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I've got the same problem with Limitless. I insert the disc into the BD-ROM, it spins for a bit, then nothing. I'm running Linux cli only, but no applications seem to be able to see the disc. 'makemkvcon info' starts up, then quits pretty soon with 'Failed to open disc'. Interestingly, during this time the disc access light on the BD-ROM never turns on. It turns on with every other BD, just not Limitless. I suspect there is something on this disc to prevent PCs from mounting it, as other tools can't see it either. It's as if /dev/sr0 doesn't point to a real device.

kirby

#9 Post by kirby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:31 pm

kirby wrote:I've got the same problem with Limitless. I insert the disc into the BD-ROM, it spins for a bit, then nothing. I'm running Linux cli only, but no applications seem to be able to see the disc. 'makemkvcon info' starts up, then quits pretty soon with 'Failed to open disc'. Interestingly, during this time the disc access light on the BD-ROM never turns on. It turns on with every other BD, just not Limitless. I suspect there is something on this disc to prevent PCs from mounting it, as other tools can't see it either. It's as if /dev/sr0 doesn't point to a real device.
Ok, I lied. This works for me now. I guess posting to the forum made it work ;-)

Seriously though, several eject/clean/re-inserts, rebooting, trying another disc then Limitless, mounting manually nothing worked. Finally I ejected from the cmdline, then pushed the tray back in and I saw it automounted. makemkvcon seems to be happy.

lagrange60

#10 Post by lagrange60 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 am

I'm also having the same problem. The offender is The Vampire Diaries: Season 1, Disc 2. There was no problem with Disc 1, so I have no idea what is going on here. I cleaned and re-cleaned the disc (even though there is no noticeable damage), restarted my computer, Blu-ray player and Makemkv, but to no avail.

I'm not sure what kirby did to make his two movies work, but if they decided to work of their own volition (and if every movie/disc is secretly conscious and can decide when and when not to work), I'm having no such luck with mine.

Anyone has a definite solution to this?

mike admin

#11 Post by mike admin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:29 am

Blame Apple. Mac OS has really buggy UDF driver (really) and OS behaviour is to eject disc if it can't read it. Use the following workflow:

1. With no disc inserted, launch MakeMKV. Make sure you're using DASPI.
2. Insert disc - MakeMKV should be able to read it. As disc is locked by MakeMKV, OS won't eject it (and won't even try to mount).
3. Once you close MakeMKV OS will happily eject the disc again.

lagrange60

#12 Post by lagrange60 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm sorry, Mike, but it's not working. I followed your 3-step procedure, but my Blu-ray drive keeps ejecting the disc. I started Makemkv before (like you said) loading the disc, and when that didn't work, I tried starting the program during and after loading the disc (in the vain hope for a miracle), but that didn't do it either.

I even tried cleaning the disc with toothpaste (to make sure that the disc-reading failure is not due to physical damage), but still no luck. I tried playing the disc on a standalone Blu-ray player both before and after the toothpaste cleaning, and it played fine.

This is my first encounter with this type of disc-reading error, and it is frustrating.

setarip_old

#13 Post by setarip_old » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:02 pm

@lagrange60

Hi!

Just to reconfirm. Did you, as "mike admin" stated:
Make sure you're using DASPI.

lagrange60

#14 Post by lagrange60 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:36 pm

You mean the DASPI Kernel Extension? Yes, I'm using v1.3.