No preview in MKV-files (Bluray)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
tjsuominen

No preview in MKV-files (Bluray)

Post by tjsuominen »

Hi!

I am new to MKV (trial version). I have produced several MKV's from DVD's and re-processed them with Handbrake (just to basically adjust the Audio coding -> MP3 Lame) to be able to play them over DLNA from my NAS in Sony BDP-S480.

However, I have not been able to generate such MKV's that have the "preview" visible on the Sony BDP-S480 Bluray (after the Handbrake) - the file preview is nicely visible e.g. on Windows 7 with Explorer - both produced by MKV & Handbrake.

Tips, hints how to make that happen?

//t
Woodstock

Re: No preview in MKV-files (Bluray)

Post by Woodstock »

When you run the files through Handbrake, have it create MP4 files, rather than MKV. And you may have to rename them to have the extension "MPG", instead of the defaults of "MP4" and "M4V".

It is an unfortunate fact of life that DLNA may claim support a lot of content, I have yet to find a "certified compatible" DLNA TV or media player that will be able to see files with anything but a small range of file extensions. I have several that will play MKV files directly over the network (mapped SMB network resource on the media server), but the only files that are visible through DLNA are those with the extension "MPG" (same media server, same directory, just using DLNA instead of SMB networking).
tjsuominen

Post by tjsuominen »

Thx for the proposal, will try!

Another challenge: in the original MKV produced by MakeMKV I can see the subtitles OK (with Windows Media player), BUT when processing the file with Handbrake, I simply do not seem to manage getting Subtitles into the output (either MP4 or MKV) - I have tried:

Subtitles (tab in the output):
Foreign Audio seach (Bitmap) OR
1. Finnish (VobSub) OR
Imported the subtitles SRT-file (seems you can not select the Burned In/Forced Only)

AND

Tried about every possible combination (on/off) of Forced Only/Burned In/Default

And still I do not get the Subtitles when viewing e.g. with Windows Media Player on the outputted format (either Mp4 or MKV). Is this because of Media Player or...

Please Help... :)

Thx
//timo
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

That's a Handbrake issue that should be discussed at the Handbrake forum. You will need an encode log from a job where the subtitles don't work.

SC
tjsuominen

Post by tjsuominen »

Hi.

Sure that Subtitle-thingy is (but can say was ;o) an HB issue and should not be discussed here, sorry for "spamming"... But solved and got it working.

However still can't create files out with preview on my Sony BDP-S480 from Buffalo LinkStation NAS through DLNA. Tried:

mp4 (.m4v) -> copied as .m4v to Bluray -> moviefile not visible at all
mp4 (.m4v) -> renamed .mpg -> copied to Bluray -> moviefile not visible at all
mkv (.mkv) -> copied to Bluray -> moviefile visible & playable but *NO* preview

So... so far have not been able to produce video with preview visible through Buffalo Linkstation NAS through DLNA on my Sony BDP-S480 player.

Considering building a small HTPC project at some point (still tips & hints more than wellcome to solve the preview challenge) :)

Thx!

//timo