I have noticed that MakeMKV is starting to crash frequently. It will not happen all the time, and its not on the same DVD. When it happens, this error is displayed:
Then the GUI crashes. Then with out even thinking about it, I restart the GUI and MakeMKV may or may not crash, in this case after a restart MakeMKV processed the above DVD with out issue. I had been processing DVDS for a bit and also had a couple of other crashes. I noticed that the computer became more and more sluggish after each crash, so with out rebooting I started the task manager and found this. You notice at the top of the list the MakeMKV.exe and its chewing up processor like nobody's business. I cant reliably reproduce this probem, but I can tell you that my system is 64bit with 2GB ram. I can end the task and everything returns to normal:
I noticed in the image you can't see the applications that are running. makemkv.exe *32 is the program you see running in the above screen shot. The one program that is missing is makemkvcon64.exe. So it appears that MakeMKVcon64.exe is causing the error.
Please let me know if there is something I can do to track this down for you.
Its just happened again. It seems to happen when, I have MakeMKV GUI open (after processing a DVD) I insert the next DVD, again after processing the last DVD. Then Windows Media Player opens (autoplay) attempts to access the disk, while MakeMKV is accessing the disk. Windows media player errors out with this error:
MakeMKV will finish its scan of the DVD. After its finished the scan is usually when it crashes. MakeMKV.exe *32 continues to use processor and chew up memory until I kill it in the task manager. In this case, after I restarted MakeMKV it continued on with out problem. This is after a restart. After this next DVD has completed I will see if will continuously happen after processing a previous DVD.
I will continue to attempt to reproduce this, leaving everything the way it is until I see a pattern.
Also if I don't have MakeMKV running, the DVD will play fine in this system.
Ok, it I have been able to confirm and reproduce it reliability.
This crash occurs under the following conditions:
1. System is running 64bit windows, and of course is a 64bit processor.
2. All windows updates have been applied.
3. After MakeMKV has successfully ripped a DVD and has not been closed.
4. A new DVD is inserted into the DVD drive and Windows Media Player access the DVD, while MakeMKV is running. In this particular case Windows Media Player DID NOT crash but began playing the NEW DVD. Windows Media player is closed after it starts.
5. I then started the first process where MakeMKV reads the tracks so that I can select the proper title to rip.
6. After it has finished scanning the DVD but BEFORE I have a chance to select the title to rip, MAKEMKVCON64.EXE then crashes. I will then have to manually kill makemkv.exe *32 before it eats up all my memory.
And for the first time since I started observing this, it crashed a second time in a row, same DVD, Windows Media Player was not started this time. I tried it a third time and MakeMKV started processing that same DVD without a crash.
Thanks a lot for finding this out. I have to ask you to do an additional step, as the crash can't be reproduced here. Please make and send a debug dump per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html
Update: Ok so, 1.7.5 did the same thing on my laptop. so i installed 1.7.1.
Three discs worked fine, then it happened again.
Shut down and restarted laptop. It has now been ok for about another 5 or 6 discs.
Running 1.7.7 on my desktop, ripped about 20 discs today and it has been flawless.
Desktop running windows 7 hp
laptop running 7 ultimate.
As i havent had these problems in the past and now seem to have them on older versions of the software also, i can only assume it is down to a change made by a windows update at some point.
I installed MakeMKV 1.7.7, attempted to run it, but after discovering my drives, it always crashes. I have tried uninstalling & re-installing to no avail. I've created a dump report & emailed it as per instructions on this site.
I'm attempting to use MakeMKV on my laptop running a current Win7Pro (32bit) OS.
IT_Scooter wrote:I installed MakeMKV 1.7.7, attempted to run it, but after discovering my drives, it always crashes. I have tried uninstalling & re-installing to no avail. I've created a dump report & emailed it as per instructions on this site.
Assuming that we're talking about the same dump, the problem is MakeMKV's incompatibility with Panda antivirus. Both are at fault (with Panda being arguably more responsible as it is very intrusive). The problem is known and solution is in works, but for now there is absolutely no workaround.
SidebandSamurai wrote:I don't have Panda Antivirus, I have AVG, could this also be a problem with AVG?
By all means please try running it with antivirus disabled. If AVG is indeed the case, that will explain a lot. So far the cause for these mysterious crashes is unknown.