Problems converting different BDs to MKV

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tech7

Problems converting different BDs to MKV

#1 Post by tech7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:24 pm

So, I've had this problem with a variety of BDs incluiding some that have ripped fine in the past. But, it seems with version 1.7.5 and 1.7.6, I 99% get the "....m2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset..."

This happens both on my desktop (with an internal BD burner) and laptop (external USB blu-ray reader). Both run Win7 professional 64-bit.

Here is the strange thing - I can do a full backup of a disc no problem. But, if I try to convert the backup to mkv, I get the same "...ms2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset..." That's really weird since there no problems with the backup.

Anyone know what causes this issue since 1.7.4 and before it never happened, at least to me?

GG007

Re: Problems converting different BDs to MKV

#2 Post by GG007 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Are these recent releases?

After 18 months of flawless mkv rips using my OWC Elite Pro 12x Pioneer BD-205 drive, it started failing on newer BD releases with hardware errors and other odd problems related to protection code being revoked by the drive and other odd error reports. It reads DVDs fine and many older BD releases, but certain discs failed every time even after I exchanged the copy for another new copy of a problematic movie like Harry Potter 7 Part 2.

I purchased a brand new Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive and it was able to read all these problem discs with no problem, and I was able to rip these to .mkv files using 1.7.6 with no problems.

Just thought I would mention this, since my first reaction to these problems was that there was something wrong with the new 1.7.6 release since I had never had problems like this before.

tech7

#3 Post by tech7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 am

GG007 wrote:Are these recent releases?
For the most part yes and its hit or miss if I run into that error.
After 18 months of flawless mkv rips using my OWC Elite Pro 12x Pioneer BD-205 drive, it started failing on newer BD releases with hardware errors and other odd problems related to protection code being revoked by the drive and other odd error reports. It reads DVDs fine and many older BD releases, but certain discs failed every time even after I exchanged the copy for another new copy of a problematic movie like Harry Potter 7 Part 2.

I purchased a brand new Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive and it was able to read all these problem discs with no problem, and I was able to rip these to .mkv files using 1.7.6 with no problems.

Just thought I would mention this, since my first reaction to these problems was that there was something wrong with the new 1.7.6 release since I had never had problems like this before.
I find it weird that I would run into problems with two different drives. A drive going bad also would not explain why I can make a decrypted backup perfectly fine and still run into errors trying convert the backup to mkv files using makemkv.

Very strange.

mike admin

#4 Post by mike admin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am

Please post or email a debug log file - it should have all the details.

tech7

#5 Post by tech7 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:34 am

mike admin wrote:Please post or email a debug log file - it should have all the details.
Will do. I haven't had the need to convert a BD in a bit, so I haven't revisited the problem yet.

tech7

#6 Post by tech7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Hmm...it seems that updating to 1.7.7 has fixed the problem. I tried converting a few recent discs that had problems with 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 and no problems with the conversion.