Harry Potter 7 Deathly Hollows Part 2

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
GG007

Harry Potter 7 Deathly Hollows Part 2

Post by GG007 »

I tried ripping this disc twice and got the same errors in the same places. The disc is brand new so I am not sure what is going on. I had similar errors when trying to rip "The Descendants" earlier today. I thought at first I had a bad disc until I ran into the same problems with this Harry Potter disc. Is this a MakeMKV problem or a problem with my drive's firmware? I have not run into any problems like this before. I also ripped "The Artist" on Blu-Ray today with no problems whatsoever.

Here is my drive info which is a Pioneer BDR-206 in an OWC package: (Mercury Elite Pro)

OEM ATA Device 00:

Manufacturer: Other World Computing
Model: 0x0
GUID: 0x1D202501C0320
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
OEM ATA Device 00 Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x110
Product Revision Level: 1.02
Sub-units:
OEM ATA Device 00 SBP-LUN:
Capacity: 30.51 GB (30,505,500,672 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes

ERRORS from MakeMKV

Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2/Staging Area OWC Qx2/Harry Potter 7 part 2
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:441E' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00041.m2ts' at offset '588509184'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:441E' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00041.m2ts' at offset '588509184'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:1185' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00041.m2ts' at offset '588515328'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2/Staging Area OWC Qx2/Harry Potter/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_Part_2_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2/Staging Area OWC Qx2/Harry Potter
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:1185' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts' at offset '43309056'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (112)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts' at offset '45275136'
Failed to save title 2 to file /Volumes/OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2/Staging Area OWC Qx2/Harry Potter/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows_Part_2_t02.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
crowfax

Re: Harry Potter 7 Deathly Hollows Part 2

Post by crowfax »

Bad disc or failing drive. There is no copy protection that would stop you reading the disc, which is what your drive is reporting.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
GG007

Post by GG007 »

crowfax wrote:Bad disc or failing drive. There is no copy protection that would stop you reading the disc, which is what your drive is reporting.
Thanks for the reply. I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section.

Regarding the errors... Must be bad discs then since I just got done ripping two other BDs without any problems, but they are older releases.

The Perfect Storm
Pan's Labyrinth

Both transferred fine with no errors, but the Harry Potter and the Descendants failed multiple times. Both these are relatively new releases which made me assume that it was something to do with a new protection scheme. The discs look physically pristine, so I am not sure what is going on. Could not see any obvious signs of damage that would cause these read errors.

The drive is just over a year old and has not gotten much use, so I doubt it is the drive since if it was failing, I would expect it to be failing on everything.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Some discs are simply poorly pressed.

Occasionally new discs might have a slight greasy film on them, so cleaning them with a soft cloth may fix your issue, but you're better off returning them for new ones.

There is no copy protection on blu-rays that can stop the disc being read, your drive is saying it can't read the disc. So that really narrows down what the issue could be; disc, or drive.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

crowfax wrote:Some discs are simply poorly pressed.

Occasionally new discs might have a slight greasy film on them, so cleaning them with a soft cloth may fix your issue, but you're better off returning them for new ones.

There is no copy protection on blu-rays that can stop the disc being read, your drive is saying it can't read the disc. So that really narrows down what the issue could be; disc, or drive.

Thanks again! I have requested exchanges for both of these discs. I tried cleaning them the first time I got the errors, but it didn't make any difference. I will keep my fingers crossed that the replacements are readable.

So...This wouldn't be a firmware thing with my drive then? It just seemed odd that the two that failed were very recent releases and I believe they were using that new AACS V32 protection.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Nope. Not a copy protection issue. AACS does not stop the transfer of data.
GG007

Post by GG007 »

crowfax wrote:Nope. Not a copy protection issue. AACS does not stop the transfer of data.
OK...Thanks again!

I hope the replacements work properly. I will report back when they arrive either way.

If they had defects in them, they would have had to have been at the microscopic level cause as I said, they looked pristine to the naked eye even under bright light.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@GG007

The lens on your drive may not be totally clean. Try running a cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10US...
TXPilot69

Post by TXPilot69 »

Did your replacement discs work?