Query about bitrate of DTS HD MA on makemkv vs others

Everything related to MakeMKV
Azlan

Query about bitrate of DTS HD MA on makemkv vs others

Post by Azlan »

Hi, just a quick question something that im unsure where to look to explain it, but when ripping blurays with DTS HD MA tracks with MakeMKV, using media info lite, the log shows the bitrates of said tracks to be pretty much always 1560/1510kbps or very similar to those numbers.

but say if ive then converted the video with handbrake and used a dts hd ma passthrough, the resulting track is output with the bitrate of 4360/1510kbps. Which as the stucture of DTS HD audio is the core (regular dts) plus the higher resolution audio, the latter number seems to make more sense to me as its 4360kbps for the extra higher res audio + the 1510kbps core, rather than both the extra audio and the core being roughly the same 1500kbps.

Note that these discrepancies happen with with the audio tracks from the same file, im not comparing seperate movies etc.

Just wanted to know if theres a reason for this variance? does makemkv truly rip the complete DTS HD MA track? or is it storing in in a different way? im not completely savy on formats and the much more complicated coding for compressions etc, but know more than enough to get by. This just confuses me, cant find anything through google etc. Any explanation or enlightenment would be great :)
Azlan

Re: Query about bitrate of DTS HD MA on makemkv vs others

Post by Azlan »

Also just for a bit of extra info, when ripping blurays for the audio i only select the DTS HD MA track subest under the regular dts track, i dont select both because as far as i know, the way DTS HD MA works is it has the core and the higher res audio in the same file and the decoder just uses whatever its capable of doing or something?
Romansh

Re: Query about bitrate of DTS HD MA on makemkv vs others

Post by Romansh »

It's just e MediaInfo glitch (it's possible MakeMKV doesn't include some information, I don't know). But MakeMKV does rip the full DTS-HD stream.