DVDs won't rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
manning

DVDs won't rip

Post by manning » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 am

First 2 DVDs worked fine, third one wouldn't even open successfully. Fourth one copied about 80% then failed. Tried on dvdfab and the same thing happened. Are there some DVD's that just won't work or is there a way around this problem?

Woodstock

Re: DVDs won't rip

Post by Woodstock » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 am

Lots of possible problems, from bad/dirty disks to bad/dirty drives to, yes, bugs.

Have you enabled logging in MakeMKV and looked at the logs? What kind of errors are you seeing?

manning

Post by manning » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:03 am

Woodstock wrote:Lots of possible problems, from bad/dirty disks to bad/dirty drives to, yes, bugs.

Have you enabled logging in MakeMKV and looked at the logs? What kind of errors are you seeing?
Thanks Woodstock. Just tried another and it failed to open. Message is source file is corrupt or invalid. Not familiar with the logging. I'm wondering if it's my dvd drive. I might try it on my other computer and see what happens.

manning

Post by manning » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:18 am

manning wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Lots of possible problems, from bad/dirty disks to bad/dirty drives to, yes, bugs.

Thanks Woodstock. Just tried another and it failed to open. Message is source file is corrupt or invalid. Not familiar with the logging. I'm wondering if it's my dvd drive. I might try it on my other computer and see what happens.
But I can still watch DVDs on my computer, so that makes me think maybe it's not my drive.

Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 am

Ripping and streaming are two different things. Streaming is easier, ripping is not, so a slightly faulty drive can stream a movie but will fail to rip it.

SC

manning

Post by manning » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

I've attempted this on several PCs and still having trouble, although it was a different error. This time it skipped only a portion due to error, unfortunately it was almost two hours of the movie. It did bring in the extras and previews, but only 4 or 5 chapters of the movie. So I'm thinking it's not my dvd drive, maybe it just won't work on certain movies.

mbryanr

Post by mbryanr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:29 am

Post a log..I bet media errors.