I recently installed MakeMKV on Ubuntu and have been using makemkvcon with a known working drive. My rips are consistently failing part way in. I have rolled back from 2.0.0 to 1.18.4 and seem to be encountering the same issues.
Sample message files attached.
Any help would be appreciated.
Multiple rips failing (example included)
-
Sayaka
- Posts: 337
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Hello,
Could you please post your logs here directly (or upload them elsewhere such as a Google Drive, and then post the link) ? We cannot see your attachments.
Are the rips failing solely with DVDs, or are they failing with Blu-ray discs/UHD discs as well ?
Could you please post your logs here directly (or upload them elsewhere such as a Google Drive, and then post the link) ? We cannot see your attachments.
Are the rips failing solely with DVDs, or are they failing with Blu-ray discs/UHD discs as well ?
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
V1.18.4 BD
V1.18.4 DVD
v2.0.0 DVD
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Definitely DVD + BD. Haven't tried a 4K disc with this setup yet (though the drive has successfully ripped 4K to my Mac in the past).
-
Sayaka
- Posts: 337
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
So, if I may ask... What exactly is the problem with logs #1 and #3 since you seem to have succeeded in creating your MKV file(s) ? Also, regarding log #2 :
Could you please try the above, and let me know if the problem goes away ?mike admin wrote:By the way, you only have to install ccextractor and set its path in preferences on Linux.
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Thanks for taking a look. In all of these cases, the MKV files were incomplete at the end of the rip.
I'm unclear how ccextractor would be helpful. I don't really care about CCs. (There may be some other benefit to using this I am not aware of.)
Cheers.
I'm unclear how ccextractor would be helpful. I don't really care about CCs. (There may be some other benefit to using this I am not aware of.)
Cheers.
-
Sayaka
- Posts: 337
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Could you please try the following :
1) In View -> Preferences -> Video, set "minimum title length" to 0.
Then, if this is a DVD (this is not needed and in fact impossible to do for the Blu-ray disc) :
2)
3)
With "Open DVD files manually", do the following :
As for ccextractor, in the second log MakeMKV seems to complain about not being able to find it. If the problem persists after fixing the "ccextractor not found" issue, it could be a mastering error.
1) In View -> Preferences -> Video, set "minimum title length" to 0.
Then, if this is a DVD (this is not needed and in fact impossible to do for the Blu-ray disc) :
2)
andSayaka wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2026 5:02 am You need to go to View -> Preferences -> General and tick "Expert mode", then click on Apply and then on OK, and now "Open DVD files manually" should show up when you click on File.
3)
With "Open DVD files manually", do the following :
If this is too complicated, you can post a link to a screenshot of your Titles/Chapters/Cells list and I will do my best to post the correct command for you.Sayaka wrote:Navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder on your DVD and open VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Look at the list of Titles, Chapters and Cells. What you need to do here is manually select every title and every cell.
For example :
1:@1-@1 2:@1-@144
Would be "Select Cell 1 for Title 1 and Cells 1-144 for Title 2, keeping the default title order".
As for ccextractor, in the second log MakeMKV seems to complain about not being able to find it. If the problem persists after fixing the "ccextractor not found" issue, it could be a mastering error.
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Apologies. I should have been more specific. This is all via CLI with makemkvcon.
-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
I hadn't caught the ccextractor error. I will see about getting the installed to see if it helps at all.
-
Sayaka
- Posts: 337
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
No worries ! In that case, in addition to attempting to fix the ccextractor error, you can also try adding the following line to /home/replace-this-with-your-username/.MakeMKV/settings.confApologies. I should have been more specific. This is all via CLI with makemkvcon.
Code: Select all
dvd_MinimumTitleLength = "0"and you can also add this line, if you need help fixing the ccextractor error :
Code: Select all
app_ccextractor = "/bin/ccextractor"-
z6p6tist6
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2025 7:49 pm
Re: Multiple rips failing (example included)
Thank you so much. I will try all of that.