Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11
Posts: 6248
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Post by Billycar11 »

Tsunamijhoe wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:47 pm OK, i did read post 1, but there is so much information, and i am uncertain if i can just use the sfd flasher tool, and which firmware i need to use or if this needs to be flashed to asus first or something because of downgrade protection?
I recommend you reach out to me or Marty for assistance then
That's why we offer this service
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
Giklab
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:43 pm

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Post by Giklab »

Hi all!

I'm preparing to flash my drive and would like to verify that I'm not doing anything stupid. The drive is an Asus BW-16D1X-U (5.25" in an enclosure), Revision A105 and Platform MT1959.

From what I understand, I should first flash it to Asus 3.10MK, then the LG 5.25" firmware on top of that, both from the "All you need" pack? Would just like to doublecheck before I nuke my drive :D Thanks in advance.
MartyMcNuts
Posts: 5091
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Giklab wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:56 pm Hi all!

I'm preparing to flash my drive and would like to verify that I'm not doing anything stupid. The drive is an Asus BW-16D1X-U (5.25" in an enclosure), Revision A105 and Platform MT1959.

From what I understand, I should first flash it to Asus 3.10MK, then the LG 5.25" firmware on top of that, both from the "All you need" pack? Would just like to doublecheck before I nuke my drive :D Thanks in advance.
Flash directly to WH16NS60 1.02-MK.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
ulop3
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:11 pm

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Post by ulop3 »

Hi there, I am trying to flash my LG BH16NS55

I am on Linux (NixOS, nix package of MakeMKV 1.18.4) where I tried using makemkvcon with sdf.bin.

Code: Select all

makemkvcon f -d location --info
Showed the drive info correctly.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH16NS55
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: XXXXXXX
Firmware date: 2117-11-20 17:04
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible (with patched firmware)
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
But trying to dump the firmware didnt work at all:

Code: Select all

makemkvcon f -d location -f /home/user/Downloads/sdf.bin dump auto -o .
also not with sudo. It never gave any output, also not in dmesg. Not when giving it an absolute directory like /home/user/Downloads/ or when giving it a filename to write into. The "sg" kernel module was loaded and the drive can be used to rip 1080p blurays at 6x speed.

Now I tried on windows 11 with MakeMKV 2.0.0. The GUI SDFtool latest version didn't work. It looks like it tries to find the sdftool exe in the english directory while my system is german? No idea how windows works there.

I then used the manual way, which only works in a powershell window as administrator, not as normal user. I was not able to give it a custom output dir but was able to dump the user firmware to the current directory.

Code: Select all

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f -d J: dump -o .

Command produced 1 file(s)
  #00: size=70Kb name=dump_user_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS55_1.03_211711201704_KLMJ1BD3939.tar
Note that this is only the user firmware! I tried a full dump which failed.

Code: Select all

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f -d J: dump full -o .

Error: full dump is disabled in this firmware version
DEBUG: Code 4279205893 at xZ.-xCs_\J9DIbU=f*hi}nH>ad6F+b$,:29395034

Command produced error code 0xff0f8005
I do not feel comfortable flashing a custom firmware if a full dump does not work. Also, would it even work in this case? Do I need to downgrade the firmware?

And what could go on with Linux?

Thanks in advance!
Giklab
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:43 pm

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2026

Post by Giklab »

MartyMcNuts wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:34 am
Giklab wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:56 pm Hi all!

I'm preparing to flash my drive and would like to verify that I'm not doing anything stupid. The drive is an Asus BW-16D1X-U (5.25" in an enclosure), Revision A105 and Platform MT1959.

From what I understand, I should first flash it to Asus 3.10MK, then the LG 5.25" firmware on top of that, both from the "All you need" pack? Would just like to doublecheck before I nuke my drive :D Thanks in advance.
Flash directly to WH16NS60 1.02-MK.
I got an error (0x82062900) after flashing, but MAKEMKV recognised the drive right away and is currently happily backing up a disc. Thank you!