Feature req - dump streams before MKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bwanner

Feature req - dump streams before MKV?

Post by bwanner »

Hi and a great Thanks for an excellent program.

But I have a small feature request which probably does not require new functionality, just a stop before the last MKV mux stage:

Is it possible to preserve the streams on disk before muxing them to MKV? Or just output separate video, audio, subtitle and chapter streams instead of the muxed MKV file?

The reason for this is that many times you want to recode the MPEG2/MKV to h.264/MKV. And this always require that the encoder tool (Ripbot, Handbrake, Mediacoder etc, etc) has to demux the MKV file into separate streams first.

Seems unnecessary to first mux the M2TS or VOBs to MKV and the demux the streams again?

Thanks again,
Bo
mike admin

Re: Feature req - dump streams before MKV?

Post by mike admin »

Can't be done - MakeMKV uses built-in MKV multiplexer that packs data from disc directly to MKV without any temporary files. There is nothing to preserve.
stax76

Post by stax76 »

The fact you forward the data to the multiplexer doesn't mean you can forward it to a separate file, does it? Transcoding is very popular and often requires to have separate streams. I was told eac3to has problems reading from mkv and many other transcoders and other tools don't support mkv either. I'm sure many users would be happy about such functionality. Language, delay etc. could go to the filename.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@stax76

Hi!
I was told eac3to has problems reading from mkv and many other transcoders and other tools don't support mkv either.

tsMuxeR, mutiAVCHD, AVCHDCoder, to name a few, happily process MKVs - and, regarding "other tools", you certainly know of the ubiquitous MKVToolnix, don't you?

As far as EAC3to, its author is not currenty actively supporting it so, IF there were difficulties regarding its fairly recent attempt at adding support for MKVs they may remain unresolved for a while...
stax76

Post by stax76 »

You mentioned mostly new Blu-ray related tools designed with stream processing in mind as demuxing is such a pain with 30 GB files, for smaller files like DVD sources the stream processing concept wasn't much needed as demuxing doesn't take much time. Old tools like StaxRip don't support stream processing and it's doubtful adding support as it only adds further complexity to a application that is already too complex. It's also doubtful because it's a big task and it don't appear to be worth the trouble so until it will be supported which is somehow unlikely either files will be demuxed in the first place or StaxRip will demux them. Most other GUIs like RipBot won't do stream processing either and also demux. Regarding eac3to's mkv support I don't have experience with that, Kurtnoise told me there are issues and I should rather demux using mkvextract.