Star Wars Playback Issue

Everything related to MakeMKV
lauck99

Star Wars Playback Issue

Post by lauck99 »

Long time user first post...

I ripped the first 4 blu ray versions of Star Wars. Unfortunately during playback the video freezes, the sound continues until eventually video catches up. This happens with all 4 movies throughout the movie.

Version 1.7.2
VLC 2.0

Thoughts, opinions, solutions???

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars Playback Issue

Post by Woodstock »

A lot depends upon what you're playing them on. I've seen this with playing either MKV or MP4 1080p video across the network using several players (Asus, Seagate, Uebo), and even from the local hard drive in VLC, if the system load gets too high (Handbrake doing encodes, for example).
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

VLC doesn't seem to handle very large MKV files very well, at least it never does for me. I bought a Popcorn Hour C-200 hardware media player to handle these large full blu ray quality MKV files I make with MakeMKV. It plays everything perfectly.

I too have ripped the Star Wars Saga blu rays to MKV with MakeMKV and each movie's MKV size is larger than most of the others in my collection - over 30 gig each. It will take some serious CPU and graphics card memory to handle those files.

For some reason, I have pretty good luck most of the time with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3 playing large MKVs. It's not free and it's not their current version (which is v.5) but I find version 5 to be too heavy on my computer and useless for large files like these.

Hope that helps you some...
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
lauck99

Post by lauck99 »

Thanks for the help. I fixed the issue.

Storyline:
Recently I installed mplayerX to try it out (not from the MAC App store). Also, recently I upgraded to VLC 2.0. Along my path of troubleshooting I installed mPlayer from the MAC App Store. All three were experiencing the video hesitation; VLC would just hang and both mPlayers would skip frames. I removed VLC in its entirety (every little reference). Both mPlayers had the same issue. I removed the non MAC App Store mPlayer version...still had the issue. I finally removed the MAC App Store version (all references). I reinstalled the MAC App Store mPlayer version and it worked like a charm.

Suspected issue:
The codecs between VLC and mPlayerX were competing/conflicting.

Future test:
At some point I will finish testing my theory and reinstall/deinstall different combinations.

Since it works...I am done for a while.
firionicable

Post by firionicable »

ryanjk333 wrote:VLC doesn't seem to handle very large MKV files very well, at least it never does for me.
I don't agree with that. My default video player is VLC and on my end, it can play any movies on MKV, even those movies like LOTR Trilogy that has like more or less 10GB per video.Image
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

firionicable wrote:
ryanjk333 wrote:VLC doesn't seem to handle very large MKV files very well, at least it never does for me.
I don't agree with that. My default video player is VLC and on my end, it can play any movies on MKV, even those movies like LOTR Trilogy that has like more or less 10GB per video.Image
Oh, when I said large, I was talking about 30+ GB movies files. And I'm sure it all depends on your processor and graphics card. I have a dual core processor but a crappy graphics card (by today's standards, anyway) so I'm sure that's where my problem lies then. I can play 10GB MKVs in VLC still though, too.
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200