Handbrake made mkvs works on the LG BD670, makemkv mkvs not

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
WinstonWolf

Handbrake made mkvs works on the LG BD670, makemkv mkvs not

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

Today i try something while my search about the makemkv Problem with most of the Bluray Players.
I find out : makemkv mkvs dont work on : Samsung, Sony and LG Players which normaly should play mkvs.
All these Players says that the Format is not supported .

Now i try to create an mkv with Handbrake , and surprise surprise - IT WORKS !!!!

My test :

I create an mkv with makemkv , when i open this file with mkvmerge i see : V_MPEG2 as a Video and A_AC3 as the Audio and the Capitols
I create an mkv with Handbrake , when i open this file with mkvmerge i see :

V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
A_AAC
A_AAC3

So, what is now a quick way to edit my till now produced files ( the one i make with makemkv ) to a Version that works in my Player ?

Please Help .

Thanks
Romansh

Re: Handbrake made mkvs works on the LG BD670, makemkv mkvs

Post by Romansh »

HandBrake re-encodes your DVDs (by default, to H.264 with AAC audio).

MakeMKV doesn't - it places the DVD's video (MPEG-1, MPEG-2), audio (AC3, DTS, MP2 or LPCM) and subtitles ("VobSub") in an MKV container, without altering them.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

I can playback MKVs created with MakeMKV 1.71 but my player will not recognize chapters on makemkv files. Handbrake creates chapter breaks on a single MKV file that do work with the oppo.
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

Which Player you have which plays the mkvs , created with makemkv ?

I sloved now the Problem by an WD TV Live , works perfekt ;-)
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

WinstonWolf wrote:Hello ,

Which Player you have which plays the mkvs , created with makemkv ?

I sloved now the Problem by an WD TV Live , works perfekt ;-)
I have the Oppo 93 but it will not find any chapters made with MakeMKV - it finds the chapters with handbrake.
Haubi

Post by Haubi »

Similar problem here!

My LG 42LE8500 was playing MKVs from any other source very well and without any distortions. Now I made my own MKVs with MakeMKV and the trouble began.
When I switch to the specific folder, the thumbnails are shown correctly for each "title0x.mkv". If I want to play them, it just starts but no video nor sound appears. Immediately the next "title0x.mkv" comes up and the same shit happens again and again. I tried to fast forward each of the titles when they starting playback, then I can see the movie "preview" - there it is! But again, no normal playback possible!

I have no clue what is wrong with the generated files within MakeMKV ... :(
GA-P55A-UD4 | i5-760 | Corsair Kit 4 GB | ATi Radeon HD4770 | Win7 x86 SP1
LG 42LE8500 (v3.20.19) | LG BD570 | Kathrein UFS 821
antkn33

Post by antkn33 »

I have the same issue with the LG BD670. If I use handbrake or DVDFab to make an mkv it works fine. An mkv made with MakeMKV does not.
MakeMKV is sooooo much faster I hope we can get this to work.
Thanks
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

This was explained earlier, but some of you didn't get it and I'll spell it out again.

MKV is a container format, inside that container can be a WIDE VARIETY of codecs.

Most of your players support 1 or 2 SPECIFIC codecs inside MKV container files. *(usually MPEG4 and variances of it)
IF your player does NOT SPECIFICALLY support MPEG2 inside MKV files, files created via a DVD in MAKEMKV will not work "." until you use another program to reencode the video/audio tracks.

This will likely NEVER change because:

#1 MakeMKV is not going to reencode your files. It goes against it's very purpose (To move disc media video into MKV container file without altering the contents in any way, giving "perfect copy" results)

#2 Your player is likely hard coded. It will likely never be updated to support more than it currently does. Always make SURE your player supports exactly what you want specifically before you buy it when dealing with a multi-codec container format like MKV.

Solution: Use handbreak, it will work, but take longer while it re-encodes your media to MPEG4
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

Tolken wrote:
Solution: Use handbreak, it will work, but take longer while it re-encodes your media to MPEG4
Thanks for clearing that up. It is a shame really as I like MakeMKV but without chapters that work with standard players, I guess handbrake is the best choice. Hopefully they'll eventually consider an alternate product that does encode in a format that most BR players can find the chapters in. It seems a shame that my player can play back the media MakeMKV creates, just can't skip around in the chapters.
paulster

Post by paulster »

boe_d wrote:
Tolken wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. It is a shame really as I like MakeMKV but without chapters that work with standard players, I guess handbrake is the best choice. Hopefully they'll eventually consider an alternate product that does encode in a format that most BR players can find the chapters in. It seems a shame that my player can play back the media MakeMKV creates, just can't skip around in the chapters.
Your problem is completely different, which is why crashing this thread didn't help. You've been given suggestions for things to try to get chapters to work on the Oppo in your own thread so why not try these and give Mike some constructive feedback to try to resolve it rather than just moaning that it doesn't work in every thread.