Saved FW dump file as filename.tgz
Please send the file "filename.tgz" to support@makemkv.com
Why would I want to send this file to the address specified? Does 'FW' stands for firmware? This is an archive of binary files. What data do they contain?
My drive is nothing special, ASUS BW-16D1HT, the firmware is stock version 3.11.
Tried to search similar topics here but to no avail.
Last edited by iskander on Sat Oct 04, 2025 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A .tgz file can be opened/read with the general TGZ file extractor, as well as several Windows, Mac, and Linux archive programs.
In general, if MakeMKV creates a TGZ file, it contains information needed to create a key for the particular disk you're trying to read, and it will be created with the name of that disk for a file name, plus a 4-character code that identifies which version of the disk you have.
As for me, it doesn't seem to be connected with a disc in any way. It's more like data about my drive. Again, it's just some binary files and a line of text. In my previous post I hid the filename. I'm showing it now, since I haven't seen anything sensitive in it. Plus, to show that the filename is definitely not the disc name and a 4-character code, as you assumed.
I don't have any insight but I can only assume that each drive has a key to decrypt disks and maybe these keys are useful for makemkv but that's just me guessing.