Request: Change order of audio and subtitle streams

Everything related to MakeMKV
mike admin

Re: Request: Change order of audio and subtitle streams

Post by mike admin »

The next version 1.7.1 , will allow to specify streams order in profile, and in GUI in expert mode .
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

Great! :-)
Any idea for the release date?
samtoy

Post by samtoy »

Yes, 1.7.1 is out! :D

Is there some documentation on how to use the new stream ordering feature?

There is a new "Order weight" setting in the expert options for every stream. But how is this used?
x3Ray

Post by x3Ray »

@samtoy: Exactly that's my question - how to use the option to change the order for the audio and subtitle tracks?

Am trying it now - guessing that 100 is the highest value and keeping my preferred track as 100 and putting the other languages to 99, 98 and so on - but it will take about an hour to find out (my computer is not the fastest one ;) ).
x3Ray

Post by x3Ray »

So, here is my experience.

Original order of the tracks:
1. English DTS-HD Lossless
2. English DTS 3/2+1
3. French DTS 3/2+1
4. German DTS 3/2+1
5. Audio Commentary

I wanted to keep the English and German tracks and change the order to:
1. German DTS 3/2+1
2. English DTS-HD Lossless
3. English DTS 3/2+1

So I put the order weight to 100 (German) and 99 resp. 98 for English.

Unfortunately there wasn't any change at all. The tracks are in the same order as before.

Additionally there were problems playing the MKV, the audio track was buggy, there were some kind of loud humming.

(As mentioned by someone before, there are good reasons for changing the order of the audio tracks - e. g. there are tvs like the Samsung UE series that can only play back the first audio track; and that must be physically the first not the one with the lowest/first flag.)
x3Ray

Post by x3Ray »

ah, it's the other way around, from 1 being the highest priority to 100 (?) the lowest one.

just put the no. 1 in the field "order weight" of the track that should be the first, 2 to the second and so on, then it seems to work. :)
x3Ray

Post by x3Ray »

regarding the xml profile file priority seems to range from
-10 (highest)
to
100 (lowest)

so far, so good. neverthelesse another problem: although the preferred language is chosen in program options, "favlang" in the xml profile doesn't seem to work. my preferred language is not selected; only if I change "favlang" to the hard coded value (e. g. "ger") it works. is that right? isn't there a place where to define the variable "favlang"?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The concept of track weight is explained here - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4566
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

x3Ray wrote:just put the no. 1 in the field "order weight" of the track that should be the first, 2 to the second and so on, then it seems to work.
Same here though it's a bit clumsy. Why not also be able to drag and drop the streams at will? And what about setting default/forced flags under properties? Would eliminate having to remux in MKVToolnix (once MakeMKV compresses the subs with zlib so they get displayed on a WDTV LIVE SMP). Dunno how hard it would be to implement this, IANAC. In any case, thanks for listening, Mike.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
samtoy

Post by samtoy »

Chetwood wrote: Same here though it's a bit clumsy. Why not also be able to drag and drop the streams at will? And what about setting default/forced flags under properties? Would eliminate having to remux in MKVToolnix (once MakeMKV compresses the subs with zlib so they get displayed on a WDTV LIVE SMP). Dunno how hard it would be to implement this, IANAC. In any case, thanks for listening, Mike.
Yes, default/forced flag setting would be veeery nice.

But AFAIK zlib PGS compression is not mandatory for MKV and is definately a problem on Western Digital's side. They should fix their firmware.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Of course they should. But since they have a LOT of other bugs to fix (first), it's more likely to be fixed by Mike since he said, adding compression would be easy.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch