Subtitles on LG 550

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
t11rmh

Subtitles on LG 550

Post by t11rmh »

Hello. I have an LG 550 Blu Ray player which plays MKV files fine. However, it does not seem able to display any subtitles from the MKV files I create using MAKEMKV. It plays back subtitles from other MKV files made with other software and from Blu Rays. The subtitles are there with MAKEMKV files as I can see them when I play them back with VLC on my computer. So is there a bug in MAKEMKV somewhere pertaining to subtitles?
Last edited by t11rmh on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chetwood

Re: Subtitles on LG 550

Post by Chetwood »

Same with WD TV Live SMP: the subs are there and recognized as being there by the player but not displayed. Even cycling through them doesn't make a difference. The same file plays back fine with subs on VLC. To enable subs you gott remux the file with MKVToolnix. Apparently something is not properly muxed/flagged/whatever when written by MakeMKV.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Chetwood wrote:Same with WD TV Live SMP: the subs are there and recognized as being there by the player but not displayed.
The WD TV SMP only displays PGS subtitles in MKV files if they are compressed with zlib. So far as I know this can't be done during the extraction process from the disc.

Send an email to the WD TV firmware developers and tell them to fix it. It's just lazy programming on their part.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Nice catch! And it shows in Mediainfo too:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV:
Text #1
ID                               : 6
Format                           : PGS
Codec ID                         : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language                         : English
Default                          : Yes
Forced                           : No

MKVToolnix:
Text #1
ID                               : 6
Format                           : PGS
Muxing mode                      : zlib
Codec ID                         : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language                         : English
Default                          : Yes
Forced                           : No
However, given the complaints on the official forum on how sloppy those WD guys are (new bugs in each firmware), I'm not holding my breath :(
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Forums are always skewed to make things look worse than they are. People tend only to sign up to complain.

Send an email to WD and let them know what the issue is. I got a nice email back saying they'd investigate, I'm sure as more people email it'll be bumped up the list of things to do.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

crowfax wrote:The WD TV SMP only displays PGS subtitles in MKV files if they are compressed with zlib. So far as I know this can't be done during the extraction process from the disc.
This can be done EASILY . Please confirm, are you saying that if PGS subtitles are compressed with zlib in MKV container, then the issues go away?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

mike admin wrote:This can be done EASILY . Please confirm, are you saying that if PGS subtitles are compressed with zlib in MKV container, then the issues go away?
Confirmed!
t11rmh

Post by t11rmh »

Well, I have tried remuxing my MKV's with zlib specified and a hoist of other options for the subtitle tracks nd nothing works to get them shown on my LG. So I suppose I'll have to wait for newer versions of firmware and MAKEMKV and hope that resolves it.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Make sure you email LG to let them know of the issue.