Audio Files

Everything related to MakeMKV
HiddenTalnt

Audio Files

Post by HiddenTalnt »

Sorry for the question but I am new to this whole mkv thing. I have over 200 ISO's and was looking to convert them all into mkv's because from my research it seems that I am not losing any quality by doing so. I would rather better quality that takes up more space than wasting a smaller amount of space with less quality. Where the question comes in is while doing a few test files I noticed that I had a few selections for audio and subtitles.

For example, one movie had 3 audio, two of which were DD 3/2+1 English and the other is DD 2/0 English. Obviously there is a difference between the two kinds, but what is the difference between the others.

Also for the subtitles, some movies have two or three different English subtitles. What is the difference between these tracks and how can I determine which to select.

Thanks for any help,
Hiddentalnt
Romansh

Re: Audio Files

Post by Romansh »

It all depends on the movie. Your best bet is to include all tracks in your favorite language(s) - you can always use mkvmerge to later remove tracks you realize you don't need.
HiddenTalnt

Post by HiddenTalnt »

I prefer the 5.1 audio tracks which i am assuming to be the DD 3/2+1. If I keep these and discard the DD 2/0, does the 3/2+1 play fine over stero or is it better to just keep both like mentioned before
paulster

Post by paulster »

Often the DD2/0 track is a director's commentary which you may, or may not, wish to keep.

5.1 can be downmixed to stereo but if you've something like a concert dvd (which often has a 5.1 and stereo mix) then you may wish to keep both so you can get the optimal mix when playing in stereo.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@HiddenTaint

Hi!
I have over 200 ISO's
Haven't you been maintaining a log of the contents of each .ISO image file you've created, at the time you created it?