MakeMKV files repeatedly have problem areas during playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
wildmaiden

MakeMKV files repeatedly have problem areas during playback

Post by wildmaiden »

I've been having some issues with MakeMKV recently. I've been trying to rip the Blu-ray version of Firefly. My first attempt resulted in a file that mostly played back very well, but occasionally would get pixelated and stutter a little for about half a second. This would happen every time at the exact same spots. Almost all the way through the first episode playback just stopped altogether in XBMC (returned to menu, as if I pressed stop). I tried playback in VLC and it crashed at that exact same spot. I re-ripped, and tested in that spot, and everything seemed fine, the pixelation and stutters seemed to be gone too. It wasn't until I watched the whole episode again that I noticed the pixelation/stuttering/crashes were NOT gone, but just occurring in different places.

I have the log file for the most recent rip, but it doesn't seem to offer much insight. In this case, there is some pixelation/artifacts at 33 seconds and playback stops in XBMC and crashes VLC at 42 seconds on two different machines (it's strange that this happens so close together and right at the beginning, in the first file problems were far apart and infrequent).

I've found some posts that seem to describe this problem, with some people having success remuxing with MKVMerge. I tried this, and playback doesn't crash VLC anymore, but there is still a glitch in playback at the same spot.

In summary: I'm having problems playing back the files created by MakeMKV. The problems always occur in the same area of the file, but if I re-rip the problem areas move. This seems to suggest that the problem is not with the source material or playback software, but rather with MakeMKV or maybe my Blu-ray drive.

Has anybody else experienced similar issues? Any suggestions as to how to correct the problem or further diagnose the issue? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Code: Select all

005014:0000 Saving 1 titles into directory G:/Videos/TV Shows/Firefly
AV sync issues in G:/Videos/TV Shows/Firefly/t01_FIREFLY_DISC_1.mkv
AV sync in 2 at 0:00:00.015 (32ms) : 1 early frame(s) dropped at start
AV sync in 1 at 0:00:00.004 (10.666ms) : 1 early frame(s) dropped at start
004001:0000 Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
005005:0080 1 titles saved
005036:0104 Copy complete. 1 titles saved.
Application exited at Mon Dec 26 01:10:45 2011
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV files repeatedly have problem areas during playb

Post by mike admin »

Well, your produced file even has ho AV sync errors (except for few harmless early frames). Are you sure that your machine is powerful enough to play hi-def files? Can you please post mediainfo output for produced MKV file?