Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
neosii

Blade Runner won't convert.

Post by neosii »

I get this from the blue ray disk

MakeMKV v1.6.16 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Title #00015.mpls has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00001.mpls was added as title #0
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 23 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 37 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00055.m2ts has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00065.m2ts has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/downloadin/downloadinfinished
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6458437632'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6459224064'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6459359232'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6459359232'
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/downloadin/downloadinfinished/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
crowfax

Re: Blade Runner won't convert.

Post by crowfax »

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6458437632'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00047.m2ts' at offset '6459224064'
This message means your drive is unable to read the disc.

There is no copy protection that can cause this.

The most likely explanation is that the disc is dirty, damaged or poorly manufactured.

It could also be the case that your drive is failing.

You may wish to try cleaning the disc with a soft cloth. If that doesn't cure the issue, you will have to return to disc for a new one.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
neosii

Post by neosii »

I thought perhaps that but then the disk plays absolutely fine in the drive, so do all my other disks, and my other disks rip fine in the drive.

I don'#t think the drive is faulty, presumably the disk wouldn't play if it was.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

neosii wrote:I thought perhaps that but then the disk plays absolutely fine in the drive
The fact that it plays fine is no indication if the disc is good enough to achieve a 1:1 bit-perfect copy.

I have nothing else to say on the subject I'm afraid. The error is what it is; the disc can't be read by the drive well enough to create a perfect copy. If you can think of another reason why the drive wouldn't be able to read the disc then I suggest you pursue that avenue of investigation.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
neosii

Post by neosii »

Everything else is ripping fine, so I'm going to presume it's just the disk, nothing to do with the drive.

Cheer up, lifes to short for attitude.

I now have nothing else to say on the subject ..
dagger01

Post by dagger01 »

Something that may help and doesn't come with a jackass tone:

/faq/item/7

It worked for me with a disc I was having trouble with. It may be a "bad" disc, but if it plays in other drives without errors it should rip. But, you may want to return a disc if it's new and doing this.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

You might think that, but it's not a correct assumption. Just because you can play a streaming clip in a dvd player (software or hardware) doesn't mean it can be ripped properly. Ripping doesn't forgive any errors, where playback does. Playback makes a best guess, and if it hits a bad spot, it will simply leave those bits blank until it hits another i-frame, or until it loses tracking completely.

Making a digital bit for bit copy is different however. It can't just leave 'no data' bits in the copy and still claim to be able to successfully rip a clip from a disk. That would be a bit like making a backup, and thinking it was ok to just ignore those files it couldn't copy, while reporting 'success'. It just doesn't work that way.

The error is due to the media. I've ripped any number of blade runner disks (I have the 5 disc collection), and all ripped without issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This thread is from 2011, so any commentary on it is irrelevant to the topic.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

LOL. Nice catch Woodstock. I'm surprised a thread this old wasn't locked.