Hello!
I would like to know if it is enough to install Makemkv to make backups of e.g. a UHD, so that it can be run from a NAS without copy protection.
I use a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-S13U drive under EndeeavourO's Linux.
Many thanks in advance.
MfG R.Lehmeier
Comprehension question Makemkv
-
flojo
- Posts: 348
- Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:27 am
- Location: El Paso
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4585
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: Comprehension question Makemkv
In order to rip a 4K UHD, the optical drive has to support LibreDrive.
A Pioneer S13U might or might not support LibreDrive depending on the firmware. If the firmware is too new, it won't work.
A Pioneer S13U might or might not support LibreDrive depending on the firmware. If the firmware is too new, it won't work.
-
Lehmeier
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:23 pm
Re: Comprehension question Makemkv
Ok, if I don't need any special software, firmware, extra files etc. for my UHD drive and the copies run without copy protection on any computer, then I'll probably give it a try.
I want to back up all my Blurays and UHDs and then watch them via a NAS on the TV or with VLC on the computer.
Now I just have to find a way to pay with Paypal.
I want to back up all my Blurays and UHDs and then watch them via a NAS on the TV or with VLC on the computer.
Now I just have to find a way to pay with Paypal.
-
Flesh
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:03 am
Re: Comprehension question Makemkv
You can (likely) backup blurays without special firmware, and you can (likely) flash the firmware on your drive to get both bluray & UHD disks working.
The best part is that makemkv is free & you can likely use it almost forever without paying. I purchased my copy after years of using it once I was in a more stable financial position due to simply enjoying the product & wanting to support the dev, but at no point are you really forced into it.
The best part is that makemkv is free & you can likely use it almost forever without paying. I purchased my copy after years of using it once I was in a more stable financial position due to simply enjoying the product & wanting to support the dev, but at no point are you really forced into it.