Encrypted backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
dtblair

Encrypted backup

Post by dtblair »

On several occasions I have forgotten to click the "decrypt" option when making a full disc backup. No big deal in that MakeMkv can still make the "movie only" from the backup. MPC-HT now has the ability to play a movie directly from the index.bdmv file, however, the movie must be decrypted. Is there a way to create a decrypted backup from an encrypted backup short of re-ripping the disc?

There is a reason to my madness. I stream mkv movies to the whole house. Some movies have alternate endings (such as "I Am Legend") or theatrical and extended versions on the same disc. I really don't want to have multiple rips of the same disc on my NAS. Therefore, I can play a movie from a full backup with menu options using TMT for example (someday maybe MPC-HT).

Anyway, do I have to re-rip these encrypted backups?
setarip_old

Re: Encrypted backup

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

You may not be aware that makeMKV has streaming capability - and if I remember correctly, it will do decrypting "on the fly". Click on the following link:

makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=703

dtblair

Post by dtblair »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

You may not be aware that makeMKV has streaming capability - and if I remember correctly, it will do decrypting "on the fly". Click on the following link:

makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=703

I've messed around with the streaming, but it's not ready for prime time. You can't select audio streams/closed captions, selecting chapters causes locks, it's a giant pain to try to figure out which file is being streamed (title0, title1), etc, you have to open up the url and tunnel back to the server. Not worth it to me IMHO.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Then I believe you'll simply have to re-do your discs...