The Avenger's Blu-Ray Disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
riffdex

The Avenger's Blu-Ray Disc

Post by riffdex »

I was using MakeMKV to make a copy of The Avengers (technically The Avenger's 3D Blu-Ray disc, although I'm not sure this distinction matters because it ripped and played just fine in 2D). I noticed that under the file theres a subfield of Video>Video Mpeg4 MVC High@L4.1/StereoHigh@L4.1 that I don't usually see under Blu-Ray discs. At first I thought this needed to be selected in order for the video to copied to the MKV container correctly, however I decided to try it with it deselected. It ripped and seems to play just fine. I just wanted to make sure by leaving this Video deselected I'm not missing some important part of the disc?
Attachments
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 815 times
Woodstock

Re: The Avenger's Blu-Ray Disc

Post by Woodstock »

"Important" is relative. That's the 3D portion of the video. If you do not have 3D hardware, it's not important, but you need it to display 3D.
riffdex

Post by riffdex »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:06 pm
"Important" is relative. That's the 3D portion of the video. If you do not have 3D hardware, it's not important, but you need it to display 3D.
Appreciate the reply.

To take the question a step further, is there a general consensus used on MakeMKV forums. As in, do people tend to preserve the 3D portion, or just rip it without? It's my understanding that 3D TV's never really took off, but I didn't know if preserving the 3D data stream might potentially be useful in the future... lets say if 3D TVs become popular in the future i guess.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I cannot say for others. Personally, my few (under 4) disks that have 3D came with it as an "extra feature". Should I ever find need for it, the disks still have it, but it isn't on my system taking up space. Should I ever purchase 3D hardware I can re-rip the disks. I think the last one I got was "The Martian" 4K set, and I've only watched that movie once since I bought it.
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

riffdex wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:30 pm
To take the question a step further, is there a general consensus used on MakeMKV forums. As in, do people tend to preserve the 3D portion, or just rip it without? It's my understanding that 3D TV's never really took off, but I didn't know if preserving the 3D data stream might potentially be useful in the future... lets say if 3D TVs become popular in the future i guess.
Consensus will depend on which crowd you ask. If you're prioritizing saving disk space, skip it. If you're ripping with the intent of archiving a complete backup of the movie (including the 3D bits), then keep it for sure. And besides TVs or projectors, 3D movies can be viewed on VR headsets such as Meta Quest, or video glasses from Xreal, Rokid, Viture, and others.