Newbie looking for a new drive...

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
alninek

Newbie looking for a new drive...

Post by alninek »

Hello everyone!

I hope I'm not Off Topic! If I am, I ask the admins to delete or move this post to the appropriate section!

My Pioneer BDR-208D recently stopped working. I used it to burn data Blu-rays and watch a few movies on my PC. Now I'm looking for a new Pioneer burner to replace my 208 (I've always had a good experience with Pioneer burners), and I stumbled upon a Reddit discussion explaining how some of the newer drives don't read 4K discs...

Meanwhile, I searched online, but it seems that Blu-ray burners are becoming increasingly rare and almost impossible to buy.

So I’m asking the experts here:

1 What is the best drive on the market that reads UHD and burns data reliably?
2 Which drive has the best quality/price ratio?
3 Once the drive is purchased, is it possible to flash the firmware so that it can read UHD Blu-ray discs?
4 Where can I get the modified firmware?
5 From what I've read on the forum, it seems like the firmware discussed here is not 'official,' so could it void any potential warranty?

Thanks in advance for your patience and any replies!
Woodstock

Re: Newbie looking for a new drive...

Post by Woodstock »

I've just updated the topic at the HEAD OF THIS FORUM to use "2024" instead of 2023 in its title, since people can't seem to find it. It's now "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2024" to be more obvious.

The first message explains all the details you've asked about, and more.
alninek

Post by alninek »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:39 pm
I've just updated the topic at the HEAD OF THIS FORUM to use "2024" instead of 2023 in its title, since people can't seem to find it. It's now "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2024" to be more obvious.

Thank so much for your answer!

I tried to send email to:

Billy: Billycar5924@gmail.com
He says that sell only in US :-(

and to:

asmcom: uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com
They haven't answered me, probably due to health problem as I read here in forum
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

alninek wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:19 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:39 pm

Thank so much for your answer!

I tried to send email to:

Billy: Billycar5924@gmail.com
He says that sell only in US :-(

and to:

asmcom: uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com
They haven't answered me, probably due to health problem as I read here in forum
What is your location? I have shipped to many places around the world. Check my signature.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
alninek

Post by alninek »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:18 pm
What is your location? I have shipped to many places around the world. Check my signature.
I'm writing from Italy
I tought about BDR-S13E(U or J)-X model...with the correct firmware! ...at a right price! :-) ....do you suggest other models?
A few questions for you please:

1. What is the best drive on the market that reads UHD and burns data reliably?
2. Which drive has the best quality/price ratio?
3. Once the drive is purchased, is it possible to flash the firmware so that it can read UHD Blu-ray discs?
4. Where can I get the modified firmware?
5. From what I've read on the forum, it seems like the firmware discussed here is not 'official,' so could it void any potential warranty?
6. Do you give any warranty on drive you sell?
7. do you have any?
8. do you ship in Italy?
9. what about custom tax?
10. what is the price of drive + shipping + customs?

…and sorry for my poor English
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

alninek wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:11 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:18 pm
I'm writing from Italy
I tought about BDR-S13E(U or J)-X model...with the correct firmware! ...at a right price! :-) ....do you suggest other models?
A few questions for you please:

1. What is the best drive on the market that reads UHD and burns data reliably?
2. Which drive has the best quality/price ratio?
3. Once the drive is purchased, is it possible to flash the firmware so that it can read UHD Blu-ray discs?
4. Where can I get the modified firmware?
5. From what I've read on the forum, it seems like the firmware discussed here is not 'official,' so could it void any potential warranty?
6. Do you give any warranty on drive you sell?
7. do you have any?
8. do you ship in Italy?
9. what about custom tax?
10. what is the price of drive + shipping + customs?

…and sorry for my poor English
PM sent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
alninek

Post by alninek »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:28 am
PM sent.
thank so much.... i read that and answered

anybody knows what are the official pioneer firmware version which allow UHD discs reading for following drive?

BDR-S13JBK
BDR-S13J-X
BDR-213JBK

This is official Pioneer firmware download page:
https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/i ... 01r_e.html

BDR-S13UBK / S13EBK / S13CBK
latest version seems to be 1.05
Once updated to version 1.05, this drive will not revert to older firmware versions.

BDR-213ULBK(BDR-2213) / BDR-213EBK / BDR-213CBK
latest version seems to be 1.05
Once updated to version 1.05, this drive will not revert to older firmware versions.

so... if I found a 1.03 versione... am I right to read UHD discs?
Last edited by alninek on Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

alninek wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:50 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:28 am
PM sent.
thank so much.... i read that and answered

anybody knows what are the official pioneer firmware version which allow UHD discs reading for following drive?

BDR-S13JBK
BDR-S13J-X
BDR-213JBK
1.02 I think for the 213JBK and 1.03 for the other 2 models but you won't find any with the older firmware in any stores. The only way to get one with the older firmware is from a seller on this forum.
alninek

Post by alninek »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:04 am
1.02 I think for the 213JBK and 1.03 for the other 2 models but you won't find any with the older firmware in any stores. The only way to get one with the older firmware is from a seller on this forum.
So... How the sellers here can find drive with 1.02 or 1.03 version if there's none sell it... out there?

sorry for my question but I didn't know about UHD issue... and in my life I've always bought "official drive" in "official shops" :oops:
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

alninek wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:09 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:04 am
So... How the sellers here can find drive with 1.02 or 1.03 version if there's none sell it... out there?

sorry for my question but I didn't know about UHD issue... and in my life I've always bought "official drive" in "official shops" :oops:
We have our sources/ways.