MakeMKV 1.17.7 too old, crashes on start

Everything related to MakeMKV
DaveMKV

Re: MakeMKV 1.17.7 too old, crashes on start

Post by DaveMKV »

So another tip hopefully so people don't waste the 30 precious minutes I just have - the instructions above are great - however:

If you copy the registration key on a mac by double clicking it, on pasting it has a space at the end - and so doesn't allow you to click register

You just have to delete the space at end - and then it works!

If you don't delete the space at the end, you may waste your time in an endless loop of re-downloading the software 'just one more time' to see if it works - even though you know thats a nonsense... obviously I have not just done that...
Chilkoot

Post by Chilkoot »

The fix works perfectly. Thanks so much for all your hard work over the years - a true labor of love you've given to the community here, and it is *very* much appreciated.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

DaveMKV wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:24 am
If you copy the registration key on a mac by double clicking it, on pasting it has a space at the end - and so doesn't allow you to click register

You just have to delete the space at end - and then it works!
The "Select all" in the Code block header always picks the correct key - with Windows and likely all other OSs.
oracle-connect

Post by oracle-connect »

I have paid for a registration key and never received the key. I have emailed and waited. What is my next step here?
darqman

Post by darqman »

oracle-connect wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:51 pm
I have paid for a registration key and never received the key. I have emailed and waited. What is my next step here?
Check you spam folder maybe?
BiffHenderson

Post by BiffHenderson »

I had installed V1.17.7 and run into the fatal-error-on-startup problem.

I uninstalled that and installed V1.17.8. I made sure that there was not a disk in the drive. I started it up...and still got the "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit." message upon startup. After I click OK the program doesn't actually exit, though, and does allow me to insert the temporary key. So, I do that and it says I'm good to go but need to restart. I restart, at which point the same error message appears. If I then insert a BluRay Windows 11 recognizes the disk but MakeMKV never does.

I'd guess the latter issue - not recognizing the BluRay - is related to the error upon startup. No error messages are shown in the log. Is there any way to get a precise sense as to what's failing?

- Biff Henderson
jasonbear

Post by jasonbear »

Have EXACTLY the same situation as BiffHenderson who posted above me.
Used MakeMKV for years, then
1) Installed 17.7 and got fatal-error-on-startup
2) Tried various fixes that were suggested, including NOT putting a disk in the drive, and re-registering with the beta key
3) Uninstalled 17.7 and installed 17.8 - exact same problem

Current status is identical to BiffHenderson.
I made sure that there was not a disk in the drive . I also started without the drive attached at all.
I start 17.8...and still got the "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit." message upon startup.
After I click OK the program doesn't actually exit, though, and does allow me to insert the temporary key.
I do that and it says I'm good to go but need to restart.
I restart, at which point the same error message appears.