Worth ripping UHD for 1080p display?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
gixxerfool

Worth ripping UHD for 1080p display?

Post by gixxerfool »

Hey all,

I have been spending the past year ripping my movies into a Plex server. I only have a couple of UHDs, since they come with the BD for a couple of bucks more I grab them, is it worth the effort of flashing the drive and ripping the UHDs for a 1080p display?

My hardware is:
Mac Mini repurposed as a media server
Apple TV 4K Running Plex
2008 Samsung LCD 1080p 30Hz display

All the network connections are hardwired for stability.

I have seen some videos on direct playback through a PS5 (I have that as an option as well) on a 1080p screen, but not much on streaming through Plex.

Thanks
sam14229

Re: Worth ripping UHD for 1080p display?

Post by sam14229 »

Think of it as an investment for the future. The day you get a 4K HDR display, you’ll already have a library of 4K movies.
tommik128

Post by tommik128 »

I know that probably most people coming here own the Dolby Vision capable OLED TVs but for normal person that has got a regular TV, a smartphone and perhaps a computer monitor this whole HDR/DV thing is nothing but nightmare. Anytime you want to watch the movie you gonna find out that it looks terrible on your phone since it is a HDR/DV thing... same with your monitor, could be the same with your TV... Good old days when you could use any TV and the movie would be still watchable. So what is the point of DV when you can not use it on most screens...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you have the discs, you might as well rip them. Then, as sam14229 suggests, when you get a new TV, you'll have some 4K content.

Tone mapping from HDR to non-HDR is getting pretty decent these days. Modern Handbrake can take a 4K HDR movie and turn it into 1080 non-HDR movie that looks good on a non-HDR display.