Failing to load/work - fatal arror occured, program closing

Everything related to MakeMKV
dchop

Failing to load/work - fatal arror occured, program closing

Post by dchop »

When I try to load the software I get the fatal error message. It says the program is closing but the software opens but pretty much can do nothing. I've rebooted the system and I've tried loading it without the disc drive connected. Same error and behavior.

I just purchased the license and did an uninstall, downloaded the latest version but get this error. The event log error is below. It's a Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit system.

Code: Select all

- System 
  - Provider 
   [ Name]  Application Error 
   - EventID 1000 
   [ Qualifiers]  0 
    Version 0 
    Level 2 
    Task 100 
    Opcode 0 
    Keywords 0x80000000000000 
   - TimeCreated 
   [ SystemTime]  2024-09-02T22:43:02.8234431Z 
    EventRecordID 2136975 
    Correlation 
   - Execution 
   [ ProcessID]  0 
   [ ThreadID]  0 
    Channel Application 
    Computer *****I've removed this info***** 

Security 
- EventData 
   makemkvcon64.exe 
   unknown 
   c0000005 
   00000213ca6d1340 
   2bd4 
   01dafd8977ec50bc 
   C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe 
   unknown 
   3c600cc5-aa98-4482-8368-9e7990caf612
mwarmann

Re: Failing to load/work - fatal arror occured, program closing

Post by mwarmann »

ditto I am experiencing the exact same thing. Had used the program for several months. My beta license key expired. Tried resetting the pc clock, and ripping a bluray and was told the pc system clock was wrong. So removed Makemkv, reloaded sw, after updating clock/calendar to correct date/time and setting to auto update. Reloaded Makemkv sw and got "fatal error message. So decided to own up, purchased the $60 license. rebooted several times and whenever I load MAke Mkv I get the fatal error msg. Cant even get to the screen to load my permanent license.

Any thoughts?
joj5541

Post by joj5541 »

Same here, except before the fatal error message, I get a dialog:
MakeMKV BETA popup:
This application version is too old. Please download the latest version at http://www.makemkv.com/ or enter a registration key to continue using the current version.
I also purchased a registration key in hopes that it would resolve it, but no joy.
Parrothead

Post by Parrothead »

Same situation here. I wish I could help but I came here hoping to find an answer.
Parrothead

Post by Parrothead »

Parrothead wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:24 am
Same situation here. I wish I could help but I came here hoping to find an answer.
Update: I am running Windows 11 with no internal DVD drive. Unplugged the external DVD drive, started up MakeMKV, was able to register the permanent key and it seems to be working now.
usethis

Post by usethis »

Parrothead wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:59 pm
Update: I am running Windows 11 with no internal DVD drive. Unplugged the external DVD drive, started up MakeMKV, was able to register the permanent key and it seems to be working now.
Cheers mate, same here with an external Drive on MacOS. Unplugged, started the app successfully, registered the new key, app closed normally, hooked up the drive and started the app again. All seems ok now.
Parrothead

Post by Parrothead »

usethis wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:32 pm
Parrothead wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:59 pm
Cheers mate, same here with an external Drive on MacOS. Unplugged, started the app successfully, registered the new key, app closed normally, hooked up the drive and started the app again. All seems ok now.
Glad my stroke of luck helped!
mwarmann

Post by mwarmann »

Usethis thank you! That worked. First I unplugged the external USB blue ray and dvd players. Then I removed the application from my Win10 machine. Reloaded it for the web site. At first got the same outdated version pop up. But I clicked on register which was available. I copy/pasted the license key in and said ok. The app took it and told me to close and re-open the app. I closed the app, rebooted my pc and it works now.

Yea! And the I you.

Mark :D
drvcycle

Post by drvcycle »

I have verified that this process also works with internal DVD drives on a Linux system.
This is what I did to get MakeMKV working again:

1. Found the updated license key and saved it to a text file
2. Shutdown the system
3. Opened computer and pulled the power cable from the DVD drive
4. Booted system
5. Started MakeMKV and pasted the new key in the registration dialog box
6. Shutdown the system again
7. Plugged the power cable back into the DVD drive
8. Booted system and closed the case
9. MakeMKV now works! No more crashing!

Hopefully this problem gets fixed in the next version!
dchop

Post by dchop »

I've tried all combinations of everything that has been suggested. Still no luck. Will continue searching for answers.
joj5541

Post by joj5541 »

joj5541 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:42 am
Same here, except before the fatal error message, I get a dialog:
MakeMKV BETA popup:
This application version is too old. Please download the latest version at http://www.makemkv.com/ or enter a registration key to continue using the current version.
I also purchased a registration key in hopes that it would resolve it, but no joy.
As others have reported, removing the the optical drive temporarily, then registering the key, then reattaching the optical drive got things working. The issue was occurring on both Mac and PC. I've only confirmed the fix on the Mac.