I have seen the arguments for and against incorporating some type of PGS conversion into MKV programs and understand the purist view - to a point! But I am just a simple Joe who does not have the time to strip out, convert and remux... in fact I am the sort of person MakeMKV is aimed at!
I wonder if Byteocopy is going to steal MKV's lunch? If their incorporated conversion works that is where I think I will buy - and bearing in mind I think MakeMKV is brilliant.. that would be a shame!
No plans for even a plug in?
PS. Why is MKV still free.. Bytecopy isn't! I was quite shocked at how long I have been using it without paying! I know I can but maybe you need to start pushing!
From a "non-purest" standpoint, I have viewers that have no problem with the PGS subtitles in MKV files.
Where it is a problem is when I want to use a format (like MP4) with tools that don't support them. Getting the tools to support the conversion is, to me, a more important priority than changing MKV from a "rip the disk to a usable format" to a "make something that even the stupidest program can handle." You're already at the mercy of the player handling the BD video and audio encoding, so it should already know how to handle BD subtitle tracks...
Woodstock wrote:From a "non-purest" standpoint, I have viewers that have no problem with the PGS subtitles in MKV files.
Where it is a problem is when I want to use a format (like MP4) with tools that don't support them. Getting the tools to support the conversion is, to me, a more important priority than changing MKV from a "rip the disk to a usable format" to a "make something that even the stupidest program can handle." You're already at the mercy of the player handling the BD video and audio encoding, so it should already know how to handle BD subtitle tracks...
............ Thx Woodstock. Understand what you are saying....... but they dont. Simple as.