ripped episodes in wrong order/question

Everything related to MakeMKV
DarthJarJar

ripped episodes in wrong order/question

Post by DarthJarJar »

This is my first time using makemkv. I ripped the superman complete animated series . The episodes were in the wrong order. Is this typical with bluerays? Had to manually make sure the episodes were in the right order.
Woodstock

Re: ripped episodes in wrong order/question

Post by Woodstock »

Typically, MakeMKV rips things in the order they are in in the directory of the disk. This is NOT necessarily "File name order", but the way the disk is laid out. I have had a number of disks from certain manufacturers that had weird directories.

If a disk has the directory track with file order of, say, "1, 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 7" physically, a standard directory command will sort them to "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7", but that's not the order MakeMKV will rip them.

I've gotten used to this crap, but I also manually tag the file names when ripping anyway.
UnitOne

Post by UnitOne »

It's routine for series, especially cartoons, to have the order on their home video release not match the air dates.

This is not a technical issue with MakeMKV. Welcome to hell. I had to check every episode of all 28 Rugrats DVDs when I got that set.
DarthJarJar

Post by DarthJarJar »

Thank you guys. I can get used to it, just wanted to make sure it was normal.
darqman

Post by darqman »

My understanding is that a lot of discs with episodes put them on disc in production order and ordered by aired date. So yeah, must verify each one. A real bummer.