Very slow RIP time

Everything related to MakeMKV
rdmac357

Very slow RIP time

Post by rdmac357 »

I am new to MakeMKV and ripped my first Blu-ray the other day. It took 2 hrs and 43 mins from start to finish. My CPU was doing all the work. My GPU did not help at all. Here are the specs on my laptop I am using. Ace Aspire 5, AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Radeon Vega 6 Mobile GFX. I'm guessing that either my CPU or my graphics card is the problem. Can anyone who knows about these things give some advice as to what to do to speed this process up. When I converted the MKV file to MP4 it took about the same time. HELP !
Thanks,
Rdmac
Woodstock

Re: Very slow RIP time

Post by Woodstock »

GPUs don't help with MakeMKV. It comes down to how fast your drive is and how quickly your CPU can copy things to your hard drive. And that doesn't take much CPU power.

Hint: I often run multiple MakeMKV copies, ripping from drives attached to the computer, while using handbrake to encode video, all across a network. Watching the IO portion of the task manager, I can see the volume of data moving increase as I add more ripping tasks. The CPU is maxed out from handbrake.
rdmac357

Post by rdmac357 »

Woodstock, thanks for the reply.
My Blu-ray player is a Pioneer BDR-XD08S and claims it reads at 6X speed.
Is there a way I could check that read speed?
It has a 3.2 GEN 1 standard outlet and cable.
My laptop has two 3.2 connections.
My CPU shows using 98% when MakeMKV is running.
It is maxed out.
MakeMKV shows 20 FPS when ripping the Blu-ray disk.

Regards,
Rdmac
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

6X is the maximum it will read; that doesn't mean that is the TYPICAL read speed. You have to remember that a DVD/BD/UHD is recorded with a consistent bit density on a track, but the length of that track increases as you get further from the center of the disk.

At the start, one rotation contains XXX bits; the next, XXX+y bits, and more each track as you move further from the center. Even if the disk continues to spin at the default of 300 RPM, the bits read will increase as the head moves outward, but decrease as it moves BACK in, after the first layer is read.

Many drives spin faster than 300 RPM, depending on their ability to read the disk. On lower-density data (like DVDs), they can increase speed quite a bit. This is why you'll see drives rated for "24X" for DVDs, and less for high-density disks like BD and UHD.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

rdmac357 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:33 pm
My CPU shows using 98% when MakeMKV is running.
It is maxed out.
MakeMKV shows 20 FPS when ripping the Blu-ray disk.
This doesn't make sense to me. Are you transcoding the file at the same time using Handbrake or something? Where are you seeing an FPS counter?
rdmac357

Post by rdmac357 »

Sorry, it was HandBrake that was showing FPS at 20.
I ripped a few regular DVD's and they took about 20-30 minutes.
The FPS on HandBrake was up around 130-140 on these files.
Everything seemed to go very quick.
I will try to rip another Blu-ray and see how long it takes.