Nothing works for me since 1.17 came out

Everything related to MakeMKV
chowbok

Nothing works for me since 1.17 came out

Post by chowbok »

Been meaning to post about this for a while. I generally use MakeMKV to create MKVs from previously backed up DVDs and Blu-rays, off the hard drive. This always worked fine with 1.16.x and below, but with newer versions it always times out after getting a little way into the rip. I've been running a chrooted version of 1.16.7 to get around this, but I'd like to be able to use the latest. What's the best way to diagnose this?
dcoke22

Re: Nothing works for me since 1.17 came out

Post by dcoke22 »

My general workflow with MakeMKV is to create a decrypted backup of a disc with MakeMKV, then open the backup and create .mkv files from there. This has been working fine for me in 1.17.x on macOS.

I also haven't noticed others posting to the forum with issues similar to yours. This suggests to me that it is probably something specific to your install that's the culprit.
chowbok

Post by chowbok »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:43 pm
This suggests to me that it is probably something specific to your install that's the culprit.
I have no doubt, but it's something kinda esoteric since I have no problems with 1.16. How can I coax some more info out of MakeMKV?
chowbok

Post by chowbok »

Okay, I should have done this before posting, but I did a little more experimenting and the problem seems to be with the "FLAC" profile. When I have it set to that, it hangs. It works fine in 1.16.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you look in the Linux section, you'll see a lot of posts on this topic. Here's one example: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33050

Near as I can tell, MakeMKV doesn't play nice with FFMPEG 6 currently.
chowbok

Post by chowbok »

Aha! Thanks for the pointer. Easy enough to override, once you know what the issue is.