How do I make playable blu-ray discs?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
CTRL_QWERTYUIOP

How do I make playable blu-ray discs?

#1 Post by CTRL_QWERTYUIOP » Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:55 pm

So I just bought some 4k blue-ray movies due to a streaming service refusing to give me a full resolution stream, and both movies came with an additional full HD version of each title as well.

I thought I'd give dumping a try since I have an LGBU40N, so I read up on downgrading it and got curious about something... Can I make a full, one for one, clone of the original blu-ray disc from my full backup and have it play on a standalone blue-ray player (normal one, ps3 and ps4)?

So I tried doing just that, and so far I just get invalid disc error on my ps3 and ps4 while the living room blue-ray player just says unsupported disc. VLC plays the backup just fine, but I want to be able to take my backups and write them back onto disc's if I so ever feel like it.

The process I went through was:

- Making a full backup in makeMKV (unchecked the decrypt video box),
- Generate an ISO from the resulting files and folders (using imgburn),
- Burn the ISO image onto a 50GB BD-R DL disc from verbatim.

I have a limited amount of 50GB discs since I've only ever planned on using them for a few select titles from my GOG library.

Is the thing that screws things up the discatt.dat file being included in the ISO, or is there something else?

I want to keep all the extras and menus if I can, but I am open to extracting video, audio and subtitles if I can somehow get that to play normally instead.

MartyMcNuts

Re: How do I make playable blu-ray discs?

#2 Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:00 pm

CTRL_QWERTYUIOP wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:55 pm
So I just bought some 4k blue-ray movies due to a streaming service refusing to give me a full resolution stream, and both movies came with an additional full HD version of each title as well.

I thought I'd give dumping a try since I have an LGBU40N, so I read up on downgrading it and got curious about something... Can I make a full, one for one, clone of the original blu-ray disc from my full backup and have it play on a standalone blue-ray player (normal one, ps3 and ps4)?

So I tried doing just that, and so far I just get invalid disc error on my ps3 and ps4 while the living room blue-ray player just says unsupported disc. VLC plays the backup just fine, but I want to be able to take my backups and write them back onto disc's if I so ever feel like it.

The process I went through was:

- Making a full backup in makeMKV (unchecked the decrypt video box),
- Generate an ISO from the resulting files and folders (using imgburn),
- Burn the ISO image onto a 50GB BD-R DL disc from verbatim.

I have a limited amount of 50GB discs since I've only ever planned on using them for a few select titles from my GOG library.

Is the thing that screws things up the discatt.dat file being included in the ISO, or is there something else?

I want to keep all the extras and menus if I can, but I am open to extracting video, audio and subtitles if I can somehow get that to play normally instead.
It's been about 15 years since I wrote a Blu-ray disc but you should be able to. I'm not 100% certain but if I remember correctly, to get a working disc, you have to keep the same disc structure. Therefore, ensure you include the AACS folder from the disc and remove the MakeMKV folder.

So the process would be:

1. Use the folder backup option in MakeMKV to backup the disc to a decrypted Blu-ray folder structure (ensure decrypt box is checked!).

2. Remove the MakeMKV folder and copy across the AACS folder from the disc.

3. Write a disc using any good Blu-ray authoring software.

Just be mindful that if the original contains Cinavia, your copy won't play in any player that has Cinavia detection, which includes all Sony players and PlayStation.
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

segfaulted

#3 Post by segfaulted » Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:45 am

My gut feeling is the backup must be decrypted and burned without the AACS folder in the disc root.

Case in point: a certain log message is pretty common on not-legit discs... "AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc"

MartyMcNuts

#4 Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:19 am

segfaulted wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:45 am
My gut feeling is the backup must be decrypted and burned without the AACS folder in the disc root.

Case in point: a certain log message is pretty common on not-legit discs... "AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc"
No, it must be decrypted and include the AACS folder or else it won't play in a standard blu-ray player. So long as you decrypt the disc first, like I said previously, including the AACS folder won't make a lick of difference to you as all content is already decrypted but it makes all the difference to the player that will be looking for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

segfaulted

#5 Post by segfaulted » Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:06 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:19 am
No, it must be decrypted and include the AACS folder or else it won't play in a standard blu-ray player.
Does a PlayStation count as standard player? Because that doesn't line up with my own encounters with bootleg discs. Here's one example... an unencrypted burn of a certain TV show, no AACS folder. My PS3 and PS5 play it without issue, menus and all.

MartyMcNuts

#6 Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:16 am

segfaulted wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:06 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
No, it must be decrypted and include the AACS folder or else it won't play in a standard blu-ray player.
Does a PlayStation count as standard player? Because that doesn't line up with my own encounters with bootleg discs. Here's one example... an unencrypted burn of a certain TV show, no AACS folder. My PS3 and PS5 play it without issue, menus and all.

Yes, playstations are standard blu-ray players when it comes to blu-ray movie discs.

Then do it that way then. Just make sure the content is decrypted. I'm just telling you what my process was about 15 years ago. These days, there's really no need to write discs anymore as HDD storage is now pretty good value.

CTRL_QWERTYUIOP

#7 Post by CTRL_QWERTYUIOP » Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:53 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:16 am
segfaulted wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Yes, playstations are standard blu-ray players when it comes to blu-ray movie discs.

Then do it that way then. Just make sure the content is decrypted. I'm just telling you what my process was about 15 years ago. These days, there's really no need to write discs anymore as HDD storage is now pretty good value.
Yep, checking the decrypt video box was what was missing... Annoying that I chose to trust that I did something wrong when the instructions that I followed prior to making this post was incorrect.

I feel stupid, but the resulting disc now reads without issue on my ps3/ps4, but it doesn't play on the blu-ray player in the living room.

Should I move the AACS folder out of the resulting makemkv folder and burn it along with the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders for good measure when making restored discs in the future?

MartyMcNuts

#8 Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:11 pm

CTRL_QWERTYUIOP wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:53 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:16 am
segfaulted wrote:

Yep, checking the decrypt video box was what was missing... Annoying that I chose to trust that I did something wrong when the instructions that I followed prior to making this post was incorrect.

I feel stupid, but the resulting disc now reads without issue on my ps3/ps4, but it doesn't play on the blu-ray player in the living room.

Should I move the AACS folder out of the resulting makemkv folder and burn it along with the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders for good measure when making restored discs in the future?
Give it a try. It will either work or it won't.

CTRL_QWERTYUIOP

#9 Post by CTRL_QWERTYUIOP » Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:10 pm

I tried the suggested folder structure by taking the AACS folder and putting it in what would be the root of the disc drive, and it sadly didn't work.
The folder structure is the same as the original, with the difference of it being decrypted, but it still doesn't work in the standalone blu-ray player.

I'll make any future restoration of any titles in my movie collection to match the original just in case though (who knows, maybe it's just this player that is a bit finicky).

There may be some additional thing I could try, that being some other type of disc that I heard of earlier when skimming through this forum... HD something and it not being a standard blu-ray disc... But I can't remember the name of it.

Thanks for the answers and your help :D