bdr-xd08b for regular blu-ray?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vincent1

bdr-xd08b for regular blu-ray?

Post by vincent1 » Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:18 pm

Hey,

Brand new to all of this, wanted to just try to get into it slowly as I've got close to 3000 blu-ray movies + a good chunk of 4K.

As for the Pioneer bdr-xd08b, I understand if I buy it right now off Amazon, etc., pretty much it's incompatible to read/rip UHD discs, but will makemkv software work with it for standard blu-rays? Just wanted a low-cost option to test and play around before I commit to full on investing in making a backup for everything I have.

Haven't sprung on anything yet, but reading all the issues with LG slim readers, I'd probably opt for the Pioneer first and then upgrade (purchase a Pioneer with an old firmware), when I've got my storage solution squared away.

Apologies if this has already been answered in another thread, I did a search and didn't seem to come across anything.

MartyMcNuts

Re: bdr-xd08b for regular blu-ray?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:22 am

vincent1 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:18 pm
Hey,

Brand new to all of this, wanted to just try to get into it slowly as I've got close to 3000 blu-ray movies + a good chunk of 4K.

As for the Pioneer bdr-xd08b, I understand if I buy it right now off Amazon, etc., pretty much it's incompatible to read/rip UHD discs, but will makemkv software work with it for standard blu-rays? Just wanted a low-cost option to test and play around before I commit to full on investing in making a backup for everything I have.

Haven't sprung on anything yet, but reading all the issues with LG slim readers, I'd probably opt for the Pioneer first and then upgrade (purchase a Pioneer with an old firmware), when I've got my storage solution squared away.

Apologies if this has already been answered in another thread, I did a search and didn't seem to come across anything.
Yes, will work fine for DVD/BD but not UHD.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com