Really old drive WH12LS38 not being picked up by my Win 11.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ryanb0517

Really old drive WH12LS38 not being picked up by my Win 11.

Post by ryanb0517 »

I have an external USB-hub by Vantec a model CB-ST00U3 and its not being recognized as an external CD/DVD Rom (in Device Manager) by Windows 11.
However, my older PC (a Gigabyte Z390 Mobo) is picking it up correctly.

I tried to figure out ALL day why my OS is recognizing it as "Other Devices" and not recognizing the drive.

I know you guys are experts at UHD drives and blu ray drives and I was wondering why my new Win 11 doesn't find it correctly but my old one does.

I ordered a LG WP50NB40 today just for my new PC and I will probably not have a problem anymore but I want to salvage my old drive.

Do you think there's something I can do here with firmware/drivers/software for either the drive or the usb hub?

Thanks
-Ryan
dcoke22

Re: Really old drive WH12LS38 not being picked up by my Win 11.

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm just guessing, but do you have the correct drivers installed for the USB chipset on your Win11 computer? Most Vantec stuff doesn't need any drivers, but it is dependent on the computer's USB controller to do the right thing.
ryanb0517

Re: Really old drive WH12LS38 not being picked up by my Win 11.

Post by ryanb0517 »

I fixed it.

Just in case anyone is having driver issues for external USB devices, you can follow these steps:

https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat

Download media creation tool by AveYo and re-install an older version of windows while keeping your files/documents intact.

I went from 23H2 to 22H2 and my drivers worked again.

Then, windows automatically updated itself back to 23H2 but my drivers still worked.

Hope that helps,

-Ryan