Is there a way to have MakeMKV rip the subtitles from a DVD but have them off by default?
They are always on, so any dvds which I rip, I have to put through MKVMerge to turn them off. Although this only takes 10 seconds per episode, when you have well over 300 episodes, it's pretty long winded.
Sometimes yes but not in this case.
According to MKV Merge, the subtitle track is set to "yes" meaning it will show by default. It's just a slight hassle to have to run them through MKV Merge after Make MKV just to turn the subtitles off by default. However I still want them ripped into the MKV file just in case.
I have the same problem. To change a setting would be great. I always add all subtitles (one language) because sometimes it is not clear which one is the enforced one which is used when persons are talking in another language.
Default should not mean switch on by default. That's your player interpreting the MKV file incorrectly. Only the forced flag should turn a subtitle on by default in the player.
Default in this case is the subtitle language to choose if your player tries to turn subtitles on and doesn't know what language it wants.