Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ggking7
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Post by ggking7 »

The audio I get from Blu-Rays ripped by MakeMKV sounds like it's been digitally altered. I don't have the same problem with DVDs ripped by MakeMKV. Is there any digital change made to the Blu-Ray audio ripped by MakeMKV whatsoever? I'm using the Linux version.
reebok
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Post by reebok »

it rips without any alteration. are you using your usual media player (and codec) to play it? I know with mine, ac3filter sounds much better than ffdshow.
ggking7
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Post by ggking7 »

I think the problem is with the downmix from 6 channels to 2. I'm trying to work it out.
reebok
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Post by reebok »

ah ok, that definitely makes a huge difference on my soundbar. I recommend ac3filter if you aren't already using it. I use the 2/0 setting and it's great.
ggking7
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Does MakeMKV alter a Blu-Ray's digital audio at all?

Post by ggking7 »

ac3filter is a Windows thing isn't it? I use Linux but I'm making progress. The problem seems to be letting the codec downmix to stereo with some sort of algorithm internal to it that produces bad sound.