Differences in files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Voidstar

Differences in files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12?

Post by Voidstar »

So... I have been using 1.6.10 for a while and the one trouble I have been having is that my media player wouldn't display the subtitles (though Windows Media Player on my PC would).
Switched to 1.6.12 and suddenly I can get some subtitles - but only ever no matter what I select I get the first subtitle-track and the first one only.

Still, an improvement. Then I was going to look at the differences between the files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12, thinking that I ought to be able to write a small program that converted the 1.6.10-produced file into one that appears to have been produced by 1.6.12. But to my surprise the difference between the two files is absolutely massive, about 1.2 MB.

I am not really looking forward to re-ripping my entire library using 1.6.12, and then possibly have to do it again in the future to get the other subtitle-tracks working... not that I am in any way sure that MakeMKV isn't doing what it is supposed to, but something did change between those two versions.

So, is it possible to get any kind of documentation and/or notes on the differences between the MKVs produced by these two versions? on the off chance that it could help me produce a converter?
mike admin

Re: Differences in files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12?

Post by mike admin »

Voidstar wrote:So... I have been using 1.6.10 for a while and the one trouble I have been having is that my media player wouldn't display the subtitles (though Windows Media Player on my PC would).
Switched to 1.6.12 and suddenly I can get some subtitles - but only ever no matter what I select I get the first subtitle-track and the first one only.

Still, an improvement. Then I was going to look at the differences between the files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12, thinking that I ought to be able to write a small program that converted the 1.6.10-produced file into one that appears to have been produced by 1.6.12. But to my surprise the difference between the two files is absolutely massive, about 1.2 MB.

I am not really looking forward to re-ripping my entire library using 1.6.12, and then possibly have to do it again in the future to get the other subtitle-tracks working... not that I am in any way sure that MakeMKV isn't doing what it is supposed to, but something did change between those two versions.

So, is it possible to get any kind of documentation and/or notes on the differences between the MKVs produced by these two versions? on the off chance that it could help me produce a converter?
The MakeMKV's MKV multiplexing engine is open source, you're welcome to download the source code for 1.6.10 and 1.6.12 and see for yourself. Fir subtitles, 1.6.12 properly calculates and puts subtitle duration in MKV container (some media players require it, even if duration is stored in subtitle stream itself).

With the next version (or at least very soon) you will be able to open MKV file and repair it in MakeMKV.
Voidstar

Re: Differences in files produced by 1.6.10 and 1.6.12?

Post by Voidstar »

Cool, I might just wait for that repair functionality then. (or I might look at the source purely out of interest).

It is an excellent application you are providing, but I really do want to save myself from having to re-rip ~150 discs. Among the inconveniences of having to get them out from the storage-place that I put them in :-)