Question about the wording on the MakeMKV web site

Everything related to MakeMKV
kryzchek

Question about the wording on the MakeMKV web site

#1 Post by kryzchek » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 pm

On the "About MKV" page of the web site, it states that
MKV files are compact. For exactly the same content MKV files are about 10% smaller then DVD files and roughly 40% smaller then Blu-ray files.
How is this determined? Especially in the case of Blu-ray files. The program doesn't re-encode the video files, so how is that a Blu-ray MKV is 40% smaller than the source disc?

NomadCF

Re: Question about the wording on the MakeMKV web site

#2 Post by NomadCF » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:13 pm

While I wouldn't even try to "defend" the percentages claimed. MKV files are smaller then M2TS's, but thats due to the containers overhead. Just like a TS is smaller then a M2TS but larger then a MKV. Even though they all are holding the exact same "streams" inside.

The down side to this smaller (and I'm use the word wrong) "format" is that it lacks real checks and balances or to me more precise is lacks a firm structure. Which is any it's so easy for players to become out of sync with it's video and audio streams.

Heres the Break down (movie is "JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO")

Code: Select all

MKV: 4.19 GB (4,499,511,296 bytes) 
VOB: 4.27 GB (4,587,214,848 bytes)
TS:  4.33 GB (4,658,326,528 bytes)
Personally I always use TS (mean YES I convert all my files to TS, And yes I lose a some space for doing it). The reason is simple, regardless of the codec pack(s) install on a machine. As long as it has a codec for TS files, It will play the file with out issues (issuing meaning audio sync issues). But that same thing can NOT be said for about MKV. And on a smaller note TS compatibility is common across the board mac,PC,xbox 360,ps3 , popcorn, wd players, etc. But that same thing can not be said for the MKV format. Thats not to say it's not gaining ground though.

kryzchek

#3 Post by kryzchek » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the information. It makes sense that the different containers would have different "overhead", but I find it hard to believe that there's a 40% reduction in space on a Blu-ray MKV vs. TS or M2TS.

As for audio/video sync problems, I've thankfully not run into this problem with my Popcorn Hour.

mike admin

#4 Post by mike admin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 am

Blu ray requires a minimum bitrate, so low-bitrate movies will be always padded with TS stuffing packets. On some titles we've actually seen 40% due to padding, but of course typical reduction in size is not so dramatic.