Trouble Ripping UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
KetchupGore

Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by KetchupGore »

Hey there!

Not sure if this is the right category, but I'm currently experiencing an error when trying to rip UHDs. Some information on what I'm working with..

MakeMKV: v1.17.5 (recent)
Drive: BDR-UD04 (LibreDrive enabled)

I'm using this software and drive for years now and didn't had any problems what so ever, but as of today I am apparently unable to rip UHDs. I first noticed it with the Arrow Video release of Mary Shelleys Frankenstein. Then I tried some titles I knew would work cause I ripped them before, to make sure it's not just a bad disc. Still errors after errors..

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

Does anybody know a solution or has a similar issue?

And I want to add its definitely not because of dirty or faulty discs. Some are brand new and others have only been played once and remain carefully stored since.

EDIT: After cleaning all discs and the lens I was still getting the same error. Only for UHDs I want to add. All Blu Rays I tested loaded up fine. So I just started throwing all UHDs I have at MakeMKV to see if I could get even one of them to read and I got lucky. Lord of War did open and and I noticed a line in the log reading:

Downloading latest HK to /Users/directory..

Not sure if it has something to with it but eversince MakeMKV is fully functioning again.
Last edited by KetchupGore on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by Woodstock »

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
The drive is disagreeing that the disks are perfectly readable. Have you tried resetting the drive (power off)? Cleaning the disks?
EventDriven

Re: Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by EventDriven »

Sounds like your drive doesn't like it which is something that occasionally happens. Not that this helps you right now, but if you have a large number of discs to go through then you may find it helpful having more than one drive if possible. I've got two different drives, an Asus and a Buffalo, and have found that if one doesn't work then sometimes the other will.