Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Everything related to MakeMKV
pehoma4194

Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Post by pehoma4194 »

I did search first and didn't see this asked so forgive me if I missed anything.

I've been using MakeMKV for a little while and it's working well. However, I'm wondering if it's possible for the program to to extract the subtitles as separate files while creating the MKV. To be clear, I don't want them OCR'd or converted to SRT, I just want the IDX/SUB that it's including inside the MKV to be outside. I know there are other programs that can extract idx/sub from a DVD and I tried a few, but none worked well.

In the final folder I'd like:
B9_t00.mkv
B9_t00_track3_eng.idx
B9_t00_track3_eng.sub

So far I've been converting each DVD twice, one with subtitles and one without. Then I'm extracting the idx/sub files with MKVExtractGUI2 from the MVK that includes them, but I'm hoping there is a way to avoid having to rip each disc twice just to get the idx/sub files separate.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV won't do it, but there is a tool in mkvtoolnix that will do it. Google will take you to the right place for it.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

I find MKVCleaver to be the easier way to extract a track (such as subtitles) from an MKV file. If you try to do it in MKVToolnix, it’ll make a MKS file which isn’t what you’re looking for.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I use VSRip. When it's a tv show with several episodes, it's sometimes easier to remux the DVD first with DVD Shrink's re-author mode.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
pehoma4194

Post by pehoma4194 »

Sunoo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:26 am
I find MKVCleaver to be the easier way to extract a track (such as subtitles) from an MKV file. If you try to do it in MKVToolnix, it’ll make a MKS file which isn’t what you’re looking for.
I'm working off a DVD directly, not an MKV. Extracting from an MKV is easy, and yes Cleaver is great.
Chetwood wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:53 am
I use VSRip. When it's a tv show with several episodes, it's sometimes easier to remux the DVD first with DVD Shrink's re-author mode.
I am working with a TV show, so yes, this would work, but again require basically ripping each episode twice just to get the subtites.

I appreciate the responses but looks like no easy way to get them direct from the disc, will have to continue ripping twice.