Consider other container file format than .mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
Icetrips

Consider other container file format than .mkv

Post by Icetrips »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the great software.

Since there are few issue about the MKV file format, could you consider permit other file format like .m2ts?
MakeMKV optic it's "don't alter the stream" and using another container doesn't alter the stream.

It's an idea that could prevent few issue with the container.

Perhaps .m2ts is a better container ? Perhaps there are some limitation ?

What do you think ?

Thank you
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
Icetrips

Re: Consider other container file format than .mkv

Post by Icetrips »

Or perhaps .mp4...

The idea bewind this is remove the modification in the container...
Few tweaks are made in container in the last MakeMKV version that make difference in the file.
Perhaps another file container (easiest to implement) could define a better fixed standard. (the one doesn't change and always works fine).
What ever what version of MakeMKV you're using, hash/md5/crc whatever will be always be the same.

It's beta I know, but it's could be great considering it's beta right now and this will give a complete support on final release. (supported by the beta period)

Thank you
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
RealityRipple

Re: Consider other container file format than .mkv

Post by RealityRipple »

There are plenty of free and open source utilities to split MKVs into their raw data streams for re-encoding if you prefer another format. MKV has always been a personal favorite of mine as far as video containers go, and I'm not sure what "issues" you're talking about, other than a few old proprietary hardwares being unable to understand them.