Administrator privilege in Win7

Everything related to MakeMKV
emueyes

Administrator privilege in Win7

Post by emueyes »

Hi all

I've had a look here and can't find any more info on this, so I thought I'd ask

As I understand it, MakeMKV needs Administrator privilege on a Win7 system to be able to access the drivers required.

I have a need to allow someone else to use this system and MakeMKV, but not to give them full Admin privilege. I've looked at sudo for windows, and the various 'elevate' code available, but nothing really seems to work. I really just want to equivalent of the 'sudo' command in Linux, with a sudoer's list etc. IIRC Nero used to have a little programme to allow non-admin users access, that would be a great option.

Just wondering if there's any other way to do this. I really don't want to make the system dual boot, but it's starting to look as if that might be necessary.

TIA

Rob
setarip_old

Re: Administrator privilege in Win7

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I have a need to allow someone else to use this system and MakeMKV

Forgive me, but that doesn't sound like the other person's need is to contribute to the beta testing of MakeMKV - nor does it sound like the other person is considering purchasing a license.

If I'm correct, I'd suggest that it may be inappropriate to do what you are trying to accomplish.

If I'm incorrect (and the other person will contribute to the beta testing and/or purchase a license), please accept my apology.

emueyes

Post by emueyes »

I hadn't considered that sharing the system like that might violate the intent of the beta testing licence; my apologies.

As it stands at the moment, the third party and I are contributing 50/50 in costs of the system running MakeMKV - that would also be the case when MakeMKV comes out of beta. I've certainly used it enough to appreciate its value. Also, since he uses Linux it'll mean purchasing two licences at some stage; atm we have one (Win7) system with a bunch of drives for the backups.

Meanwhile, I was just considering the (rare) occasions when I'll be away and he wants to use MakeMKV (or other programs on the computer, for that matter) without actually handing him an Admin password. Might be a bit of a grey area, and I'm certainly sorry if I've stepped over a line.

Rob
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

No harm, no foul.

Thanks for explaining...

twa000

Post by twa000 »

So why can't you create a non administrator account for them, but then go to makemkvcon(64), right click, properties, compatibility, and mark under priviledge level, run as administrator?
emueyes

Post by emueyes »

Windows asks for an Admin password in that case, and then there doesn't seem to be a way to restrict what can be executed or read/written.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Currently admin privileges are required only by win7 and when running over remote desktop. Not requiring admin privileges is on the to-do list for a long time. I can't name the exact timeframe though. But it will be implemented for sure.