Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Trees

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Trees »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:47 pm
Well you're comparing madvr vs dolby tunning 1.

You have control of the L1 tunning at line 95 in the bat file, change it to 0. default is 1 and the best tunning.
if you use the old legacy mode (0), this will probably get you that frame at 10knits but you shouldn't do that.

:: choose the L1 analysis tuning... Choices are: (old=0 - Most Highlight Detail/Most Mapping=1(default) - More Highlight Detail/More Mapping=2 - Balanced=3 - Less Highlight Detail/Less Mapping=4 - Least Highlight Detail/Least Mapping=5
set L1_Tuning=1
I don't follow. Are you saying The.Grand.Tour.S05E01/02.2023.2160p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.DoiVi.HBRID.P8 are MadVR generated? How do you know that? The plots say CM v4.0 Dolby Vision. Do you think they chose different L1 analysis tuning to achieve "10k nits"? Is it really 10k nits or is that decided by the pixel brightness relative to other pixel brightnesses? I really don't understand what you mean, I'm not sure how it correlates with my question, to be honest with you. I realise I have alot to learn, but I just don't understand what you mean. :(
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Trees wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:00 pm
I don't follow. Are you saying The.Grand.Tour.S05E01/02.2023.2160p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.DoiVi.HBRID.P8 are MadVR generated? How do you know that? The plots say CM v4.0 Dolby Vision. Do you think they chose different L1 analysis tuning to achieve "10k nits"? Is it really 10k nits or is that decided by the pixel brightness relative to other pixel brightnesses? I really don't understand what you mean, I'm not sure how it correlates with my question, to be honest with you. I realise I have alot to learn, but I just don't understand what you mean. :(
The Grand Tour is not DV AFAIK.
Your file is DV is not original.
Vellichroma9

Post by Vellichroma9 »

Hey guys,

Hope you're good. I'm working on a project and was wondering if you know of a way to extract the HDR10 stream from a video file and then inject it into another video file. Is there a go-to tool or DovI_Scripts workflow that people use for this?

I would appreciate any tips or advice!

Thanks.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Vellichroma9 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:10 pm
Hey guys,

Hope you're good. I'm working on a project and was wondering if you know of a way to extract the HDR10 stream from a video file and then inject it into another video file. Is there a go-to tool or DovI_Scripts workflow that people use for this?

Thanks.
No, HDR must be graded otherwise it will be the same 100nits video in an HDR container.
Vellichroma9

Post by Vellichroma9 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:16 pm
Vellichroma9 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:10 pm
Hey guys,

Thanks.
No, HDR must be graded otherwise it will be the same 100nits video in an HDR container.
Hey,

Thanks for the insight on the HDR10 streaming process. It got me thinking — could I possibly do this using Dolby Vision instead? I've heard that the madVR workflow might allow for the generation of an HDR video from an SDR source with the right brightness characteristics, or is that only from HDR10 to HDR10+?

Just to recap, I have two versions of the same video file — one in 1080p which contains HDR10/Dolby Vision content, and a 4K one that is in SDR. My ultimate goal here is to create a 4K file that has the proper HDR or Dolby Vision characteristics leveraging the data from the 1080p file if necessary.

Obviously if the HDR must be graded, it probably involves a specialized process that generally requires professional tools and expertise beyond the scope of what I might be able to do, but i thought I'd still shoot the question. Do you think this is possible, and do you have any advice or resources that might help me in achieving this?

Thanks again for your help!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

generation of an HDR video from an SDR source with the right brightness characteristics,
The SDR generated DV would be capped at 100nits so I'm not sure what would be the point of doing that.
Obviously if the HDR must be graded, it probably involves a specialized process that generally requires professional tools and expertise beyond the scope of what I might be able to do, but i thought I'd still shoot the question. Do you think this is possible, and do you have any advice or resources that might help me in achieving this?
Yes, it can be done in Davinci Resolve but it requires experience and time.
It takes me about 2h to manually convert an SDR movie to HDR shot by shot.
Vellichroma9

Post by Vellichroma9 »

The SDR generated DV would be capped at 100nits so I'm not sure what would be the point of doing that.
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense that the brightness would be capped given the SDR's nit limitations. Seems like it might not give the full benefits of HDR then.
Yes, it can be done in Davinci Resolve but it requires experience and time.
It takes me about 2h to manually convert an SDR movie to HDR shot by shot.
Thanks for the heads up about using DaVinci Resolve. I'm going to delve into it and see what I can make of it.

Thanks again.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Vellichroma9 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:12 pm
Thanks for the heads up about using DaVinci Resolve. I'm going to delve into it and see what I can make of it.

Thanks again.
There's a resolve SDR to HDR preset in my script tutorial folder.
It converts rec709 SDR to rec2020 HDR 100nits and then you have to go shot by shot and play with the HDR settings (and colors if you wish).
Vellichroma9

Post by Vellichroma9 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:33 pm
Vellichroma9 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:12 pm

Thanks again.
There's a resolve SDR to HDR preset in my script tutorial folder.
It converts rec709 SDR to rec2020 HDR 100nits and then you have to go shot by shot and play with the HDR settings (and colors if you wish).
That's wonderful, I'll look into it. Thanks again.
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:06 am

look at the comparisons in the red section that says:
Can only be played on a FEL device and can't be converted to P8 without baking FEL into EL
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Thank you. I notice a great work behind all this, congratulations.

Forgive my ignorance once again. Looking at the comparison images I notice a very minimal difference in terms of brightness. As I was told a few messages later, is brightness the characteristic that is left by converting FEL to 8? Or do you also lose overall image quality?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Mrmorrison wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 am
Or do you also lose overall image quality?
sometimes yes
https://slow.pics/c/UnrLCYuv
https://slow.pics/c/TR4EhPpl
https://slow.pics/c/9UuZ2ruK
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:04 am
Mrmorrison wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 am
Or do you also lose overall image quality?
sometimes yes
https://slow.pics/c/UnrLCYuv
https://slow.pics/c/TR4EhPpl
https://slow.pics/c/9UuZ2ruK
Thank you!
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

So, the point is this:
I'm asking what I lose if I convert the FEL to 8.1 for a reason. The reason is that my TV, unfortunately, is PLAYER LED and therefore leaves the "dirty work" to my x800M2. However, the difference that I notice when I watch a film with Dolby vision played directly from the TV is notable compared to when I play the same film on the player.
So I always prefer to watch my films directly from the TV (Kodi mod, emby.. in short, app with ExoPlayer which manages Dolby Vision perfectly).

Until now I used x800m2 only for FEL (the only mode that my TV does not support). But, for simple curiositym I started converting FEL to 8 to find differences between the FEL reproduced by the player and profile 8 reproduced by the TV. The result is that, for my taste, the TV (profile 8.1) always wins against the player (profile 7 FEL). More color and more brightness and objectively a more beautiful image.

In my situation, therefore, am I right to convert FEL to 8 to be able to use dolby vision directly from the TV compared to using dolby vision FEL (darker, less colorful) from x800m2?

I hope I was clear. Forgive my English :?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Mrmorrison wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:40 pm
Until now I used x800m2 only for FEL (the only mode that my TV does not support). But, for simple curiositym I started converting FEL to 8 to find differences between the FEL reproduced by the player and profile 8 reproduced by the TV. The result is that, for my taste, the TV (profile 8.1) always wins against the player (profile 7 FEL). More color and more brightness and objectively a more beautiful image.
In my situation, therefore, am I right to convert FEL to 8 to be able to use dolby vision directly from the TV compared to using dolby vision FEL (darker, less colorful) from x800m2?
I hope I was clear. Forgive my English :?
p7 to p8 from a movie that expands brightness is wrong and worse than HDR10. The dv metadata are meant to work with the FEL brightness only and the P8 conversion will look much darker than intended.
watch this comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObky4peBXE

Also, on the x800m2/x700 player-led mode, RPU has no effect with 1000nits movies.
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

This is why I'm confused. Because for me it's the opposite. The P8 film (converted - reproduced directly from the TV, therefore "LED TV") is brighter than the same film in P7 FEL (from x800m2, therefore "LED player"). Maybe I persist in not understanding something.

Look here:

FAST X - FEL - X800M2

FAST X (EX FEL) CONVERTED TO P8 - SONY BRAVIA A8H