Error handling

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RealityRipple

Error handling

Post by RealityRipple »

Been trying to back up my complete Lost collection, but I run into errors on practically every disc, and often have to make multiple attempts to clean them (I've noticed a Q-tip helps, though not much). I don't know if it's the discs, the drive, or the software, but whatever the cause, MakeMKV could really use some better error handling. If I might suggest, I think that since every time I clean a disc, a different offset gets complained about, this means that if MakeMKV were to save the file copied thus far, let me clean the disc up a bit again, and then resume copying, the copies would eventually go through. However, every time a copy fails, it wipes all progress and forces me to start that episode again, which gets particularly annoying when I'm reaching the end of one.

I've attached a log of one such failure, in case someone can help me with my problem in particular.
setarip_old

Re: Error handling

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I think that since every time I clean a disc, a different offset gets complained about...

From my exeprience(s) this is usually indicative of almost invisible fingerprint or other oil that, if on the disc, you've not done a THOROUGH job of removing in ONE cleaning session - and actually have spread the detritus to another (previously untainted) area on the disc.

A second distinct possibility is that your drive's lens (and/or other parts) requires cleaning...

RealityRipple

Re: Error handling

Post by RealityRipple »

I've used a disc cleaner and transported it from that cleaner to the drive using shammy cloths, so it's most certainly not any actual defect on the discs. I've literally been trying to get one of these discs to copy right for the last three months... The drive may have some issue, I'll be buying a can of compressed air for some other components in my comp, and I'll see if I can clean up the drive then, but I've already done a few things to try to clean it with no change whatsoever.