Default Audio Track Language Selection

Everything related to MakeMKV
CarlEdman

Default Audio Track Language Selection

Post by CarlEdman »

The current process by which MakeMKV decides which language tracks are transferred into the MKV is somewhat suboptimal for me.

What MakeMKV seems to do is select the highest channel track for each language.

However, I--and quite possibly many other MKV users--would prefer is to just keep ALL tracks but ONLY in my preferred language (English). The reason is that I'm not really interested in foreign language dubs (unless the original is foreign language and the English is a dub--in which case I'm willing to click to select the right tracks myself), but want to keep all English tracks, both to preserve the director's commentaries and if there is a regular track in both surround sound and in stereo, I'd rather use the stereo track as I'll down-mix to that anyway (for most shows) and I figure the study likely did a better job than my software would.

As is, I need to look at every single title in MKV on every single DVD, expand it, usually change the track selection. That is of course entirely possible, but a bit of an inconvenience when you convert a large disc collection.

Could you add an option to MKV to preserve only, but all, tracks in the preferred language? That would save me several clicks every day. Even always keeping all tracks in all languages would be better as I can always remove tracks later on. Your consideration would be very much appreciated.

(None of this applies to subtitle tracks--compared to audio and video they are always so tiny--compared to the video and audio tracks--that one might as well keep all of them always).

Thanks!
Chetwood

Re: Default Audio Track Language Selection

Post by Chetwood »

+1. It's a matter of convenience. Why not add an option to select preferred languages (like in DVD Shrink or DVD Fab) which would automatically have these streams ticked when opening a movie?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch