Bill Bailey: Dandelion Mind

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Apple Aardvark

#1 Post by Apple Aardvark » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

I picked up this blu ray disc from Amazon UK (region B, in other words). MakeMKV beta rips it fine, creates four MKV files. Only one of them plays back with video, and it's pretty obviously a background clip for the menus. The others play back with sound only.

Running it through VLC spits out error messages, and Handbrake says it can't find a valid picture (or words to that effect - sorry, I don't have the full text of the message in front of me.)

It's not, to the best of my knowledge, a BD+ issue; forcing a BD+ dump produces nothing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm more than happy to provide any additional relevant information; it's simply that there's nothing in the FAQ that seems to cover this situation, so I don't know what information is needed.

Edit: for what it's worth, the video appears to be in VC1. I doubt that's particularly relevant or useful, though.

Thanks.

Romansh

Re: Bill Bailey: Dandelion Mind

#2 Post by Romansh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 pm

More specifically, the video is encoded in VC-1 with interlaced compression. FFmpeg's VC-1 decoder (used by VLC and HandBrake, among others) doesn't support interlaced VC-1.

Apple Aardvark

#3 Post by Apple Aardvark » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Ah. That would do it - thanks. Time to go a-googlin' for methods of transcoding, and from what little I've seen so far, it Ain't Gonna Be Pretty.

I appreciate the quick reply.

setarip_old

#4 Post by setarip_old » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm

@romansh

Do you have this actual Blu-ray disc?

I ask because the following website indicates that the Region B version is 1080p:

http://www.blurayspecs.co.uk/blu-ray-fi ... on-mind-uk

Technical SpecsTitle:

Original Title:

Country of origin: UK
Regions: B
Release date: 22.11.2010
Production year: 2010
Runtime:
Genre: Comedy
Video Resolution: 1080p
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Sound:
DTS-HD MA 5.1:

Romansh

#5 Post by Romansh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:48 am

setarip_old wrote:Do you have this actual Blu-ray disc?

I ask because the following website indicates that the Region B version is 1080p:

http://www.blurayspecs.co.uk/blu-ray-fi ... on-mind-uk
No, I don't. It's just the symptoms are all too familiar.

Interesting that the website says it's 1080p. It could be wrong though. The HandBrake activity log would tell us whether it's interlaced or not, and if not, might give an explanation as to why it doesn't consider it a valid source.
Last edited by Romansh on Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichB93

#6 Post by RichB93 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I can confirm that the main feature on this disc is indeed 1080i (As confirmed by my monitor which reports a 60i source). Very strange though because as you mention the box clearly states the main feature is 1080p... :?

Apple Aardvark

#7 Post by Apple Aardvark » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 am

Just a quick update, for the sake of any others who go googling for answers.

Ripbot264, although ridiculously slow (two frames per second on a quad core, 2.8 GHz Xeon system - albeit in a VMware virtual host rather than on the raw hardware), succeeded in transcoding the file from interlaced VC-1 to H.264. Painful, but considering that it can be run in the background/overnight/over the course of several weeks, and only needs to be done once, it's an acceptable solution.